AIR TRAVEL KIT?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i am still going to spain (4th jan 04!)
:eek:):

I want to take a small emergency kit with me on an airline.
does anyone have sucessful experience on what to take?

i am aware of the no sharp implaments rule

i am thinking:
matches
whistle
torch
lifeboat matches(windproof)
water purification tablets.

also i want to take "methalated sprits" as a fuel for my trangia stove, can i take this on the plane in my luggage (not hand luggage)?

any information however little would be useful!

i guess i'm not thinking the plane will crash, i'm thinking more of just keeping me happy if i have to stay in a dubious station for a while with only tap water, prehaps i can use the matches as a barter or to gain friends?

also any other travel tips would be very grateful!

i am going on a climbing trip!

from malaga-espiel(near cordoba) and i'm staying with my coursemates in an old railway station house, which is aparently freezing at night but really hot (shorts weather) daytime!

please any advice to a first time lone traveler! :-?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I'm developing a kit with BCB at the moment - Designed for the civilain traveller which should be both very useful and airline friendly.

Once I'm happy with it I will introduce it to the market and begin running courses based upon it to hopefully teach people how to use it correctly. (NO PLUG - JUST INFO)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Meths is a very tricky option. You will almost certainly not be allowed to take it on the 'plane. Indeed, I've heard of totally empty Trangia stoves being refused by airline staff. Best bet is to thoroughly wash it out so that there is no smell of fuel at all. Not sure what to ask for in Spain, but either Methylated Spirits or Denatured Ethyl Alcohol is the usual stuff for these stoves. I'm told that it's widely available in Europe - check pharmacies and hardware stores - so you're probably better buying it when you get there.

Matches used to be okay as long as they were safety, rather than "strike anywhere," matches, but this is once again becoming a tricky area. Some airlines may refuse any sort of matches or lighter. Generally speaking a book of safety matches or a small butane throwaway lighter should be okay on your person but you should call your airline to confirm this. Indeed, as has been mentioned on the forum before the only way to be certain is to ask the airline, and these days different airlines do give different answers.

Purification tablets are one option, or you might like to go for a small filter / purifier instead. Pre-Mac make a good one.

Other suggestions for your kit:

earplugs
silk or pertex sleeping bag liner (folds up to a tiny size and you'll appreciate it if you have to stay in less than savoury quarters)

Make sure that the clothes you're travelling in can be rinsed and dried very quickly, in case you're stuck with nothing else to wear!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
If your going on a climbing trip its worth mentioning that a freind of mine recently had two Karabiners (which were attached to his bag) confiscated
apparently because they could be used as knuckle dusters! :shock:

Things really are getting stupid!

Fire steels are Ok on planes (nobody knows what they are :-D ) and tampons are always fine (there free in the plane toilets :wink: )

Take a bottle of nail varnish remover and pour out the contents and refill it with your fuel, put it in your wash bag in cargo luggage

this way it is very unlikly to be stopped

Carry everything you can on you or in your carry on luggage (be carful not to go over the carry on weight limit though)

wear shoes that you can hike in on the plane (you can take them off when you get to your seat)

take fresh muffins for the cabin crew (they will look after you)

I agree with jack take a slik liner or even better a treated pertex bivibag these pack down so small that you can slip one in your pocket

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Stu,

ok Im worried about you now, what are you doing using nail varnish remover in the first place?

And you told me those dresses were your wifes!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock:
my flight is now booked!

i have now have found spanish translations for:
"methalated spirits"!
"custard"
"rice pudding" ect!

thanks for the advice!

any more?

how much money should i take?

how much are taxi fares?
do i tip them?

do i need to purify spanish tap water?

you guys are rfeally helping me get sorted! :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hey i'm back!

i had a great time, no problems cropped up!

ok, advice for others travelling to spain!

meths is not a viable fuel in spain! apart from the fact no one sells it, everyone thinks meths is a drink and points you towards the wines! :lol:

there was a limited amount but it was sold more as a fire lighter than a cleaning fluid, and its light blue! :shock:

petrol for stoves or gas is much easier to get hold of!

i have a feeling hexamine could be an option to smuggle in, for fuel shortages!

the water is better than i thought!
i drank untreated tap water all week and was fine, you can taste chlorine in it which is a pretty safe sign!

food is easy to come across, though expect your diet to change!

prevalent foods are:
dried meats/sausage
cheese(though i managed to choose some nasty stuff! :-x )
they have a huge variety of vegetables and fruit.
the expected olives and seafood
lots of pastrys which are covered in honey or sugar
lots of biscuits
they have familiar chocolate, breakfast cereals, bread, and dairy products, tins of meatballs, tuna, beans ect.

things they don't have:
fresh milk(uht or condensed)
gelatin sweets(just a very small selection)

items like rice pudding, tea, and other "english foods" are rare!

if you like coffee you will love the place! :wink:

and don't forget they siesta (rest) all year round from around lunchtime to 3pm! most shops are open before 8am and close around 8 pm but close for siesta!

even if you can only manage a few words of spanish remember the "please, thankyou, and excuse me" phrases people will be far more friendly!

thanks for all your advice!
i had a great time and i'm sure you will too!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
FWIW I've never had a problem getting on a plane with meths. I have had both petrol and hexy taken off me though.
If you get really stuck for meths in foreign parts, and your not way out of town try an office supplies place and ask for photocopier cleaning fluid.
The downside is it comes in inconveniently large drums, normally cheap though.

Nick in Belfast

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE