air rifles in public?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
My freind from a town near by is asking me if i can bring my BSA rifle over for some target shooting tommorow, this would require taking the rifle on a bus in a slip and walking to his house through town.

is it illegal to carry a sub 12 ft/lbs rifle in a public place even if its enclosed in a slip?

ive checked a few websites but not found anything solid, just wondering if anyone here could help.

ATB
Josh

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
As long as it's slipped, ie in a gun bag, unloaded you will be perfectly fine Josh. I walked through a city centre last year in exactly the same way and no one batted an eyelid.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
to my knowlage it is not legal, let alone advisable, to transport such items openly in puplic. i would advise talking to your local gunshop or police before taking a wander round to your friends. on top of that it would be only to easy for a group of less desirables to give you a thump and go of to rob some poor member of the public with your gun. the secure, legal and safe transportation of anything that can be deemed a weapon is something to swat up on as often as possible as things do change without warning making it much easier to end up in the brown stuff.
lee

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My freind from a town near by is asking me if i can bring my BSA rifle over for some target shooting tommorow, this would require taking the rifle on a bus in a slip and walking to his house through town.

is it illegal to carry a sub 12 ft/lbs rifle in a public place even if its enclosed in a slip?

ive checked a few websites but not found anything solid, just wondering if anyone here could help.

ATB
Josh

Yes you are fine to do that.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd seriously advise against getting on a bus with it even though it is legal. Too many people are anti gun nowadays. Get a lift or taxi.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
If you're over 18, it can be carried if you have good reason - otherwise how would anyone get them home after buying one?

However, I would agree with JonathanD's view here. It might attract attention, and you may end up having to prove your good reason. Also the bus company might have 'conditions of carriage' preventing carriage of such items.

So, legally yes, but practically questionable. One solution might be to carry a written invitation to shoot in case of problems.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Best to go by the law, not the public perception of it. One is right the other is so far removed from whats right as to be totally wrong.

The Law says you can carry it, simple as. There really is nothing else to consider. Its sporting equipment nothing more.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
as far as i am aware you are ok to take it to your friends house as long as it is covered and not cocked. - carry ammo in a separate bag.

if in doubt - call your local police station - tell them whats happening and they can inform you for definite.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Why is something so simple made out to be so difficult here? It's just an air rifle! It's legal to carry or how would you get it home when you bought it, teleportation? Just be sensible, have it in a gun case with your pellets in your pocket, carry your driving licence just in case you get stopped and if you are paranoid call the plod to say you will be moving an air rifle from your house to your friends at a specific time and route and it will comply with all regulations as laid down by the law.

To be fair, I think most of the advice smacks of paranoia. If you're doing nothng wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I've taken that "step back" from the keyboard and would only say how sad it is that the suggestions offered by JD and Doc; made only to be helpful to both questioner and the sport of sh**ting, should be so necessary.

When I recall how my first Highland stalking trip started with a walk to a bus stop, another walk from bus to local BR station, a train journey to King Cross (via the Underground), an overnight sleeper to Edinburgh, various buses to Kirrimuir and then a taxi to Glenisla and all whist toting a Dumoulin 243, 80 rounds of Federal Premium Grade ammo and - I nearly forgot - a very large knife, I guess you would expect me to marvel at the times we live in!

Hope you get there safely and enjoy your days sport.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE