Afternoon out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well, son 2 had rugby on Saturday, so son 1 and daughter came to the park while I hid under the tarp while it rained.

c7gwLAF.jpg

looking at the picture, after the fact, it really looks like I pitched across a path through the trees, folks do walk through there from the carpark to the play park, but the path didn't appear that obvious when I was hanging me tarp!

Daughter nicked the camera to do some close up photography...

Zx2aNCI.jpg

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
cool, what are the bunched up things either end or your tarp ridgeline?

I think your looking at the 'snake skins', Tube sleeves I use to pull over the tarp to keep it all together for packing / deployment.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think your looking at the 'snake skins', Tube sleeves I use to pull over the tarp to keep it all together for packing / deployment.

One of the finest tidy hacks ever. The DD ones easily take the hammock with another for the tarp and all its tie outs. Keeps everything off the ground and a doddle to set up or pack away.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Half and half! I got a dd sleeve with a tarp I bought off here, I suspect it was for a hammock as it had quite a large diameter and wasn't that long. So I cut it in half longitudinally but with a slight taper, so one end is narrower than the other and sewed it back together. This gives me two sleeves one for each end of the tarp with an overlap in the middle.

I find it great for keeping the tarp together in a manageable bundle especially if it is windy as you can keep half of it still wrapped up while deploying to keep it under control.

Also if you're not sure if it'll rain or not you can string it up in the skins and leave it if it's fine, for a quick deployment if the weather turns.

I saw on the internet people have used a body scrubber , a puff?, because once cut free they are just a long netting tube. I did this also, but they are not hard wearing enough for actual use in the real world.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
wow never heard of them, did you make them or buy them? i might make some for my tarp - that looks excellent!

I’d say just buy a couple. Hennessy claim the invention as theres, the Hennessy Snakeskin. They got in a huff with other companies using the same name and idea and objected to other manufacturers using Snakeskin as a name.

The Hennessy ones are much narrower than the wide DD Tarp version, but I found them a bit narrow for the tarp with all the tie outs and definitely a bit of a fiddle to scoop up a hammock quickly in the rain.

One DD can fit both my tarp and hammock. Well, until I upgraded my hammock to a BigMonster with built in underquilt.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I’d say just buy a couple. Hennessy claim the invention as theres, the Hennessy Snakeskin. They got in a huff with other companies using the same name and idea and objected to other manufacturers using Snakeskin as a name.

The Hennessy ones are much narrower than the wide DD Tarp version, but I found them a bit narrow for the tarp with all the tie outs and definitely a bit of a fiddle to scoop up a hammock quickly in the rain.

One DD can fit both my tarp and hammock. Well, until I upgraded my hammock to a BigMonster with built in underquilt.

Cool thanks, will look into them.
I use a British army basha (sheet shelter) so not as huge as a DD.

I also have been put on to some ‘whoopee slings’ instead of a ridgeline for the tarp so might do a ‘tarp overhaul’ and treat myself :)

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I use a British army basha (sheet shelter) so not as huge as a DD....

Mine in the picture is a TW Sargasso, almost 4m long [but only 2.4 wide] designed specifically for hammocks I believe, where you really do need the extra length but if you're weight conscious you can get away with a narrower tarp.

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE