after a edc folder/advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
evening all.
iv got endless amounts of folding knives non of witch i paticaly like mainly because they dont feel solid enough for more than opening boxes, and once had one snap at the hinge, so i turned one of my fixed blades into a svord peasant style knife that is very strong and feels like a fixed blade but is too chunky for an everyday carry so has become my spare knife for my pack.

im after a decent non locking sub 3'' folder thats well made,sharpens well and comfy to use. so far iv seen spydercos which i like but not sure wot model as prices vary alot,fjallraven but seem overpriced?. and a ka bardozier fat boy but i think its a locker so no good.
i havnt realy got a price in mind as long as its worth its money.

realy gratefull for any advice or surgestions,
thanks alot ash..

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Since you've ruled out locking, that pretty much leaves slip joints or the Svord stye or maybe a butterfly knife. I've not tried one myself but the Spyderco slip seems like it would be a good choice for you.

Personally, I like traditional slip joints. I think they are plenty strong for what I use them for. This is a Camillus carbon steel stockman I picked up off ebay and had jigged bone scales put on.

2846339900106695437S600x600Q85.jpg

If you want to go pricey, the Case/Tony Bose Tribal Spear is very nice.

bose_slip_case1b.jpg

bose_tribal_spear1b.jpg

The most burly slip I own is Billy Watson's 18th Century Soldier's Folder.

watson_18th_cent_sold_fldr1b.jpg

Maybe a really good choice in terms of burly would be one of those Marlinspike knives.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I've been carrying a Spyderco UKPK light weight for around 6 months now, and have never regretted it a day. the GIN1 steel is also very easy to maintain an edge on, its a solid little knife that chopped through everything I've thrown at it without so much as a blink, if you're looking for an non locking folder to keep in your pocket, this is a reasonably cheap, but amazing little knife!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
thanks there all very nice, must admit i do like traditional looking kinives aswell the problem is i dont know much about folders iv seen some for £10 and some for £200 which is to be expected but its hard to see the difference between them without knowing the quality or using one.
il have a look for some of the ones you'v selected
cheers for the help ash

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have a few in rotation but the 2 standouts that I would reccommend to anyone, if you don't have much to spend then one of the Alu SAK's and if spending a bit more is not a problem then the Syderco UKPK. The SAK is faultless for me (I think its the old Soldier model) its tough, solid and reliable, keeps a great edge with the benefits of several other functions............ all for about 22 squids! Its generally the one thats with me

The UKPK (G10 version) is in my opinion the best production single blade slippy, funny things though as you don't really appreciate it until its in your hand!
Its clearly designed for using

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Boker makes good slips.

boker_stag_stockman1b.jpg

Another good outfit is great eastern cutlery (the one marked Tidioute).

wolverine1b.jpg

Also, how about a SAK Farmer? The alox SAKs are pretty sturdy.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a spyderco UKPK and i have always felt confidence in a strong cut, chest grip etc.
Cant say that of any other sub 3" slippy i have had in the past. I was lucky enough to get one for a lot less than they go for at the minute.
One of these maybe if you want something special?

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Taylo...-Witness-Knives-PC100-Ironwood/p-92-829-5899/

They have a wider range if you look and Sheffield Steel is a high carbon content stainless steel from what I have learned.

Now that is lovely...

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
decisions decisions, iv been using the heinnie website and do like the look of that sheffield steel one, has anybody got any experiance with fantoni and also citadel?.
whats the best steel to go for stainless etc
thanks

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
check out folders by Gary Mills ( im spartacus on here ) superb traditional folders at great prices, i carry one as my EDC and can't fault it.

( no connection etc just a happy customer )

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have a couple of British army clasp knives. One with the splice spike and one without. They are non locking and under 3" so UK legal also with flat head screwdriver, can opener. The blade is a sheeps foot shape and so does not have a point so is a lot better when viewed by the police but is a very strong blade.

Here is a picture of the one with the spike:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...rW4Dg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

And the other:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...rW4Dg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

I really like them and I got them both for free so even better :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
very nice knives everyone.
robbi is that gary mills as in gmhandmade knives? if so i cant seem to see any folders on his site
thanks ash

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I like the Case Canoe knife - I have a couple and they are really nice to use. I also have two Schrade Old Timer Trapper patterns - one single bladed and the other two bladed. Again, very nice, and very traditional.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE