Advice or Places to wild camp near Melrose Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hello all!!

Admin please redirect if this not the correct topic area, apologies if so.

I'm looking to get some info together for a good friend order for him to pitch a wee tent for one night. Not sure if with it being bonnie Scotland that I could pitch off the beaten track and be OK? I absolutely want to respect local landowners landowners etc.

Many thanks !

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
GGTBod gave me some top advice on camping rights in Scotland. National parks apparently you're ok to pitch up. So if there's one nearby may be worth a look. They have codes of access, we have trespass laws

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The Scottish rights to land access extend to all land that is not fenced off, near historical buildings or historical sites or places of residence or have livestock in or crops growing on, you can camp as long as you can't be seen from the path/road and are not next to your vehicle, the National Parks offer the best places and most opportunities by far

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not near Melrose but worth noting that though a National Park there are some serious.resrrictions around Loch Lomond due to whammies causing all sorts of damage and grieff.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Not near Melrose but worth noting that though a National Park there are some serious.resrrictions around Loch Lomond due to whammies causing all sorts of damage and grieff.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

When you see the state that some 'campers' left the place it is totally understandable why this enforcement is in place

Graphic images to follow

lussrubbish.jpg

etive-rubbish2.jpg

tumblr_inline_mnyvmiUzEc1qz4rgp.jpg

JS41961874.jpg

JS63282650.jpg

01375173.jpg

JS41961878.jpg

I doubt i'll ever understand folks who do this type of thing

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
When you see the state that some 'campers' left the place it is totally understandable why this enforcement is in place

Graphic images to follow

lussrubbish.jpg

etive-rubbish2.jpg

tumblr_inline_mnyvmiUzEc1qz4rgp.jpg

JS41961874.jpg

JS63282650.jpg

01375173.jpg

JS41961878.jpg

I doubt i'll ever understand folks who do this type of thing

What an absolute disgrace! I was annoyed at a few tins and bottles left at my regular spot a few weeks ago it pales in comparison to that display. I'm with you on that don't understand the mentality of these people. How much does it really take to clean up and be sensible with fires?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
What an absolute disgrace! I was annoyed at a few tins and bottles left at my regular spot a few weeks ago it pales in comparison to that display. I'm with you on that don't understand the mentality of these people. How much does it really take to clean up and be sensible with fires?

I understand it.

These are the same people who rev their engines when in a queue at the local tip... they are far too important to queue. Far better to rev your engine so everyone knows how important they are before they turn the car around, drive off in a huff and fly tip.

These are the same people who will gladly throw a mattress or a couch next to commercial bin, because obviously the owner of said commercial bin can dispose of such rubbish without charge! :banghead:

These are the same people who will drop litter in the street when there is a litter bin 100 yards away.

These are the same people who flick their cigarette ends across the street when at the pub or a restaurant (and I'm a smoker... I roll my dibs and pocket them until I get to a bin)

These are the same people who think its okay to drop their fast food bags out of the car window wherever they happen to be consuming said fast food.

These are the same people who cram their rubbish into an obviously over-flowing bin because they can't be bothered to walk to the next one.

And finally, these are the very same people who think that renting a spot on an organised camp site means they are entitled to leave their rubbish lying there for the site owner to tidy up... after all, they've paid a massive amount of money to camp there overnight, so surely its up to the site owner to clear up their used nappy bags, empty beer cans and their used £2 instant BBQs.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Ohh i am well aware of what type of people they are i live in a tower block surrounded by the likes but i don't understand them :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ohh i am well aware of what type of people they are i live in a tower block surrounded by the likes but i don't understand them :D

Self-centred, 'some one else will clean it up behind me', 'society owes me in some way', non-thinking, inconsiderate bottom burps that can not conceive of a world that isn't centred around them and their activities.

You could say those who would gladly destroy a woodland to build a raft of luxury homes and a golf course fall into the same category.

I'm teetering on a rant, so I shall shut my pie hole... I visited local woodlands and found a similar mess recently which prompted the use of bin bags and much swearing. I fully expect next time I visit for it to be the same... I just hope the trees don't get offended by profanities!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I know how you feel i had to delete a rant in the making from my last two posts in this thread, that's how i ended up only posting two sentences

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I know how you feel i had to delete a rant in the making from my last two posts in this thread, that's how i ended up only posting two sentences

Can you imagine if we sat round a campfire one night... I envisage the air being blue for a period of time as we vent our feelings on the... shall we call them Selfish Ones to be polite?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm sure we'd quickly get onto better subjects due to our surroundings and fireside camaraderie

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm sure we'd quickly get onto better subjects due to our surroundings and fireside camaraderie

True enough... I'm itching to get outside this weekend. Had a week of dealing with the 'Selfish Ones' which has led me astray of an important task.

Even without the campfire, you've already got me looking more closely at OS maps with your Scotland trip... fascinating what you can find when you look closely, even when you think you know an area.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have at least 4 areas i have found that look to have promise since my last trip up that way that i am eager to explore, i'm also itching for a bit of outdoor living, too much city dwelling surrounded by the types

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If a couple are within walking distance from each other, that would be an epic walkabout... given the spot you found on your last visit I've no doubt its going to be a treat! :)

I found a spot in the Lakes when I was wandering as a teen, but despite some day walks up there since, I haven't found it again. The map for the area, nor satellite images show anything like what I remember... I may find it one day.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have the 4 OS 1:25000 scale maps of the lake district and i paw over them a lot but i haven't been there in over 20 years when i stayed in a hostel, i just can't be bothered with all the restrictions regarding camping and i grew out of staying in hostels after too many dodgy experiences

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE