advice on which kelly kettle to get.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
I'm going to get one for my other half for xmas as shes always wanted one now the rub....

Shes has very good taste buds...... this means she is concerned that she will get an aluminum taste from the aluminum version but from what I've read the aluminum is easier to keep i.e. i believe somewhere that the stainless ones need drying etc.

please enlighten me with your knowledge of these kettles I've never used one etc so asking on here

I've not even decided which size i'll get her yet but there are normally of 5 of us camping but sometimes just 2 so does this make a difference on sizes?

advice please :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm going to get one for my other half for xmas as shes always wanted one now the rub....

Shes has very good taste buds...... this means she is concerned that she will get an aluminum taste from the aluminum version but from what I've read the aluminum is easier to keep i.e. i believe somewhere that the stainless ones need drying etc.

please enlighten me with your knowledge of these kettles I've never used one etc so asking on here

I've not even decided which size i'll get her yet but there are normally of 5 of us camping but sometimes just 2 so does this make a difference on sizes?

advice please :)

Aluminium has no taste. Stainless has a little - you ask my dogs, they really don't like drinking water out of their stainless bowls.

I have the biggest Ghillie (like a Kelly but has a whistle) and even on my own it's barely big enough. But then I drink gallons of tea and I use hot water bottles. If there are five of you, get the biggest one you can find.

I'd consider a stainless one but the main advantage that I can see is that you can use it part full for a quicker brew, whereas with an aluminium one you want it full all the time or you risk melting it.

Having said that these things boil water really fast, so if I get another one it will probably just be a bigger one. :)

I haven't heard of any problems with stainless ones left wet, and I'd have expected aluminium to be more of a problem in that regard anyway.
I'm never especially careful about drying my aluminium one and I've had no problems with it. It's seen a lot of use in the past four or five years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE