Advice on kids sleepers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hi,
i've got two sproglets, one 9yr old and a 5yr old.
both warm sleepers, however we're getting our kit together and i'm looking to get them sleeping bags for our outings and i'd like some suggestions on brands i should look at or any you've had first hand experience with?
ideally i'm looking for 3 season, should keep them warm and allow us to push the window for camping.
ta!
Pete

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Pete
We got Vango Nitestar 250s for our kids years ago when they were around 7 and 9. They were good robust bags and survived the rigors of many scout camps and annual holidays. They have been washed many times over the years. I have memories of a them using them in couple of sub-zero scout camps when extra blankets were needed, but in the main they were warm enough.
My kids are now 19 and 21 and have only upgraded their bags in the last two years. They both still have the Vangos, but they have been relegated to indoor use for sleepovers, or as guest bags as they have become a bit thin and compressed after many washing cycles. All in all they have proved to be good, robust, no-frills sleeping bags, which have lasted us for 12 years. They are still available to buy.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
We use 2 season adult bags for the little ones (3 and 5) and stuff a thermorest inside and only zip up the bottom 3 ft. That way they cant dissapear inside. I use the surplis height to fold the thermorest underitself to make a pillow affect and use the top end on the bag to pull the cord around the pilloe. They cant roll off the mat onto the floor and get cold and they cant dissapead under and overheat.

If they get hot and compalin u reach over and unzip them and back up once they cool off.

They both run sleep hot as kids do ( lots of brown fat)

Hope that makes sense

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
+1 to Vango Nitestars.We've had a couple for at least 15 yrs and still going strong although some compaction now after many washes.
We've also had a couple of Crane sports ones from Aldi for maybe 10 years and they also seem good but a little tight for me.Great for kids visiting and extra bodies when camping! He always manages to bring some mates with no kit for overnighters.I think they were about £9 so excellent value for money imho.
Cheers , Simon

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We used adult bags with a belt round them, the lower half was curled under and helped as a mattress, worked very well.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
my boy had a vango from 3 years old until he out grew it. brillant sleeping bag. the bag was given away, it was still in working condition, despite washes, games of sleeping bag monsters and sliding down the stairs with two kids in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE