Advice needed: Estate car purchase, economical but big enough to sleep in!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone can offer me some advice?

I have been given some cash and hopefully will be starting a new job soon with better pay. I live on the outskirts of London and want to buy a car to use for trips out of the city and for holidays.

I have about £1000 - £1500 to spend absolute tops.

I would like an estate car that can fit all our kit in and maybe, just maybe could accomodate two adults sleeping in the back if needed.

I've been looking at old Audi Quattro estates (bit pricey), BMW estates, Volvos etc and even Subaru Forester's etc.
I have looked insurance and most seem to be popping up at about £800 a year for casual driving. This wouldn't be used to commute etc. I am 32 and male by the way!

Can anyone offer some experience, or advice as to what I should be looking for and what is realistic. I'm open to any suggestions and although I know and estate car isn't going to be too economical that is a consideration for me.
I think a full size 4x4 might be too big for where I live by the way.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to reading your responses!

Cheers.

GJC

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
HI GJC, my first tip would be look further North for your motor, the prices down there are sky hi in comparison, I've recently had to stop working but spent the first 6 months this year living and sleeping in a Citroen Picasso, plenty of room with the seats taken out, how much kit will you be looking at ?

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the advice on where to buy.

When you say how much kit. I assume you mean how much to pack in.

I try to pack light and it's just me and my partner. So two sleeping bags, two kit bags, that kind of thing. If I was to find a good older estate I would even consider converting the boot to carry items securely and have a made to measure sleeping system. But really, we pack lightly, I wouldn't be lugging cookers and gallons of water etc. Not at least until the western world falls and we're on the road, avoiding militia and zombies etc!?

I suppose the big thing for me is the opportunity to sleep two beside each other, flat out. I know that many volvos, bmw, audis are big enough for this... I am about 5' 10" so not a big chap.

Cheers!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
but spent the first 6 months this year living and sleeping in a Citroen Picasso, plenty of room with the seats taken out, how much kit will you be looking at ?

I got 2 armchairs in our xsara picasso (old style) - with the back seats taken out it's practically a van (they come out really easily it's all very modular - you can remove 1, 2 or 3 of the back seats. It's our second one, never had any major issues.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Plenty of diesel estates are economical, 50mpg area. Generally diesels are more cost effective if you are racking up high mileage.
The Quattro's, Foresters, etc; are good cars, nice and comfy with all mod cons for distance driving but will invite higher insurance premiums.
Personally I would be looking for an older vehicle with low miles and FSH, they are around but it will require consistantly scanning adverts, internet, etc; and patience!

If it was me I'd be looking around car sales sites, see what would be acceptable re. size and your requirements and then do some internet research.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
I wouldn't get a too low mileage diesel as they can have problems. Think you've got a good selection of reliable brands to look at. The insurance quotes are crazy though.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
To confirm, those quotes were for the BMWs and Audis, Subaru etc... and I have no no-claims as I haven't owned a car for a while.
But I am going to keep my eyes open!

Cheers

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I have a Mondeo Estate TDCi - will do 55mpg+ if careful and has a humungous boot with the seats down. And yes, you can easily sleep two in the back :) Cheap, to - I paid £1700 for a 54 plate a year ago.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
are you sure you want an estate? what about an MPV, We've just bought a citroen Synergie 7 seater, all the seats come out (me and the boy are trying out sleeping in it tonight) and they can be picked up quite cheap (mine was £850 for a 51 plate with 150k miles). Apparently the 1.9 HDI engine is really good and if the cam belt has been done wont need anything but oil changes until 200000 miles. Insurance wasnt dear either, it cost me only £30 more than the 1.4 Pug 206 that I had before. ill get some pics of the setup later if you want.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
Noted.

The issue with seats that need to be taken out totally is that I don't have anywhere to put them if they aren't in the car!? But worth looking into!:)

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
Honda Accord estates are rare but cheap - they're pig ugly but go forever! I'm on my third in 12 years. All good condition and cheap as chips. Petrol version does about 36mpg and insurance is affordable. They're big, too.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Skoda Octavia 1.9 Estate Diesel.

56 to the gallon on a run, FULLY loaded with big roof box, massive, class leading boot with the seats down, reliable and easy to insure....

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
831f10c7837b371a4dd52d2789b49e31.jpg
031f7f696305d83ca6117a36a7a02480.jpg
d4c1ef6f7f07b5aa6610377b002473c2.jpg
541aedf0d8d794b4e6cadb81e6b12cb7.jpg

Plenty of room for me and the boy plus kit.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE