Advanced Explorer First Aid Course - Special Offer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
4 Day advanced course carefully designed for groups travelling to remote areas. This course exceeds the requirements for the HSE First Aid At Work Certificate. This course is recognised by all outdoor NGBs.

Itinerary

Day 1
Course Introduction
What is First Aid?
First Aid in the Outdoors
Responsibilities of the First Aider
Action in an Emergency
Primary Assessment
Secondary Assessment
Breathing & Circulation
Principals of Resuscitation
Hypoxia (wilderness setting)
Airway Obstruction / Airway Management

Day 2
Recap on Day 1
Disorders of Circulation
Disorders of Consciousness
Wounds & Bleeding
Incident Management
Bites & Stings
Expedition Hygiene

Day 3
Recap on Day 1 & 2
Burns & Scalds on expedition
Fractures & Spinal injuries
Poisoning
Incident ManagementForeign BodiesEvacuation Techniques
Effects of Heat & Cold

Day 4
Recap on Day 1 & 2 & 3
Casualty Management
Resuscitation Procedures
Incident Management
Assessments
Closing Address

This course will give you the confidence to be able to act appropriately in an emergency within the UK or beyond. At the end of the course you will receive your certificate that is approved by the HSE for first aid at work as well as all NGB such MLTE.

This course is self catering to maximise teaching time

Camping is not essential although some days training will finish quite late. There is plenty of space for camping whether in hammocks or tents.

Kit List

Please do not spend a fortune on the latest designer outdoor wear. This is not necessary and brambles etc may damage your shiny new kit.
It is important to remember that the weather in the UK is changeable at best. Our courses run in most conditions.
Therefore sensible outdoor clothing is important. You will be more comfortable in clothes that dry quickly.We can advise you if you are unsure.
Where possible choose natural materials.
You will need good footwear; walking boots or stout walking shoes is a good idea.However you may bring a pair of Wellington boots if it is wet. A spare pair of old trainers might be a good idea.
At least 3 pairs of socks.
A couple of Mid Layers. - Wool jumpers are more resistant to sparks than fleece.
Please do not wear Jeans, as these are slow to dry.
Poly cotton trousers are a good alternative x2.
Several changes of under wear.
A Waterproof – Windproof.Small tent Sleeping bag - preferably 3 season
Tent/Hammock/Shelter
Sleeping Bag
A cotton sleeping bag or a silk liner if you think you may not be warm enough.
Inflatable sleeping mat. Or a foam sleeping mat.
Knife, Fork, Spoon.Plate, mug, own drying up cloth.
Wash kit (Biodegradable Please) and Towel.
Personal First Aid Kit (Include plasters, pain killers, blister kit, tweezers and personal medication).
Women are also advised to bring sanitary products.
Sun block
Sunglasses.
Insect repellent
Note book and pencils
Water bottle
Torch with plenty of spare sets of batteries
Snacks etc.

Optional
Camp chair or piece of foam. Tree stumps lose their romance after a couple of days.
Camera, film and spare batteries remember there are no power sockets in the woods to recharge your gadgets.

Alcohol is not permitted on any Forest Knights course.
If you have any questions about equipment please do not hesitate to contact us.

Forest Knights bushcraft school courses are held in the beautiful Sussex countryside not far from the historic city of Arundel. Our site is on the edge of the proposed South Downs National Park and contains a wide range of plants, animals and bird life

We are perfectly situated for easy travel from London and the major cities on the south coast like Brighton, Southampton and Crawley. Gatwick is less than 40 minutes away.
Enjoy a weekend or longer in our beautiful woods with 250 acres to explore you can leave the stress of modern city living behind and immerse yourself in the rewarding timeless world of bushcraft and survival.
To reduce our impact on the woodland environment we use a number of camping areas within the woods, each site has a unique character chosen to enhance the particular bushcraft skills on offer.

The nearest train station is Arundel on the main line from Victoria. Whatever your mode of transport you will be met and lead to our camp.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Myself and a couple of others did the Exploration 1st Aid course with Wayne earlier this year, can whole heartedly recommend the courses Wayne runs to anyone who wants to get trained up.

How do I stop bushcraftuk from sending me unsolicited emails (aka 'spam')?

In fairness to the BCUK crew this announcement doesn't meet the criteria of SPAM. We joined the community and acknowledge that the team would occasionally send us email.

Cant remember how long I've been signed up and this is the first one I've ever received
SBW:umbrella:

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
In fairness to the BCUK crew this announcement doesn't meet the criteria of SPAM. We joined the community and acknowledge that the team would occasionally send us email.

Cant remember how long I've been signed up and this is the first one I've ever received
SBW:umbrella:

Is that what they mean by "Receive Email from Administrators"?

I don't want to stop them contacting me if necessary, but I don't particularly want people
trying to flog me stuff that they have no idea whether I need or not on the principle that if
they send enough emails to enough people, then maybe some will respond.

Nowhere in the Ts & Cs can I see that I agreed to be sent email advertising.

If it's email and it's unsolicited, then it is, by definition, spam.

Under privacy in T&C's it says the following........

We use the information held about you in the following ways:

- To provide you with a personalised service to enhance your enjoyment of the Website

- To ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for your computer

- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service where you have chosen to do so

- To send you newsletters via e-mail, from which you can unsubscribe by changing the settings on your personal profile page

-To contact you in relation to prize draws and competitions

- To provide you with information and services that you have requested from us

- To update you about changes to the service of the Website

- To contact you with information about this Website or any other website operated by Bushcraft Media Limited that we think may be of interest to you.

As in the 'company' has sent you this as you may be interested in it as a Bushcraft enthusiast and subsriber and that if you do not wish to be informed of stuff then you should disable the notification setting on your profile.

To be fair I can't think of many other reasons why the 'company' would want to contact you other than to draw your attention to stuff you 'might' be interested in as major admin changes are usually rare as to require contacting the subscriber directly.

If you don't like being contacted by unsolicited e-mail and regard this as spamming disable the notification.

Since it comes under Notices,Infromation and special offers and the fact that the course is infrequent and of limited 'first come first serve' availability I think the 'company' is simply showing some interest in its members and ensuring everyone knows about it and no one is missed out which is rare these days and which should be applauded rather than criticised IMHO.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have no problem with the occasional relevant email from BCUK. In fact this seems like a cracking course. Unfortunately I have JUST completed my Mountain/Outdoor/Remote First Aid with AdventureFirstAid which was very good indeed.

LBL

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Is that what they mean by "Receive Email from Administrators"?

I don't want to stop them contacting me if necessary, but I don't particularly want people
trying to flog me stuff that they have no idea whether I need or not on the principle that if
they send enough emails to enough people, then maybe some will respond.

Nowhere in the Ts & Cs can I see that I agreed to be sent email advertising.

If it's email and it's unsolicited, then it is, by definition, spam.

In three years this is the second email that I've received from the admins on this site (and the first was very necessary). So 1/3 of an SPAM (your definition) email per year I think I can live with.

Besides which should you have a problem with the email wouldn't it be more prudent to contact an administrator directly rather than post it on the forum?

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Well it's the first email i've had, and I must say it is welcome and informitive, I don't look at the forum all the time and i'm sure I would have missed this item.

I would have loved to go but I'm off to Scotland next week with Survival School for a bit of Extream survival with Jonny Crocket and crew. I sooo looking forward to it, I convinced the kids to sleep out in the tents in the back garden last night just so I could try out my new hammock, that was bloody freezing come 4:30am so I switched to my new bivi bag which was much warmer. (first time I've used either).

But getting back on topic... It sounds like a really good course and a good price to, I wish I could come but my bushcraft budget of money and goodwill from my wife has been commited.

Is this a course that is run regulaly?

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Under privacy in T&C's it says the following........

We use the information held about you in the following ways:

- To provide you with a personalised service to enhance your enjoyment of the Website

- To ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for your computer

- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service where you have chosen to do so

- To send you newsletters via e-mail, from which you can unsubscribe by changing the settings on your personal profile page

-To contact you in relation to prize draws and competitions

- To provide you with information and services that you have requested from us

- To update you about changes to the service of the Website

- To contact you with information about this Website or any other website operated by Bushcraft Media Limited that we think may be of interest to you.

As in the 'company' has sent you this as you may be interested in it as a Bushcraft enthusiast and subsriber and that if you do not wish to be informed of stuff then you should disable the notification setting on your profile.

To be fair I can't think of many other reasons why the 'company' would want to contact you other than to draw your attention to stuff you 'might' be interested in as major admin changes are usually rare as to require contacting the subscriber directly.

If you don't like being contacted by unsolicited e-mail and regard this as spamming disable the notification.

Since it comes under Notices,Infromation and special offers and the fact that the course is infrequent and of limited 'first come first serve' availability I think the 'company' is simply showing some interest in its members and ensuring everyone knows about it and no one is missed out which is rare these days and which should be applauded rather than criticised IMHO.

Just to be pedantic:

- it was not to enhance my enjoyment of the web site

- It did not help present content

- it is not part of an interactive feature

- it is not a newsletter (and there is no option to disable newsletters in my CP)

- it has nothing to do with a prize draw or competition

- it is not to do with a request for information or services

- it has nothing to do with changes to the service

- it is not information about this or any other web site.

So why did you post that list?

And to repeat my original (quite simple) question:

How do I stop bushcraftuk from sending me unsolicited emails (aka 'spam')?

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
Besides which should you have a problem with the email wouldn't it be more prudent to contact an administrator directly rather than post it on the forum?

Why? Perhaps someone else would be interested in the answer (should anyone ever give one).

All I asked was how to turn it off.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Simple answer is that you can't.

However, if you contact Admin, they might be able to help.

Admin don't read all the threads, they do organise the programes and the site however.

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Isn't the option to switch off emails in the section with:

From time to time, the administrators may want to send you email notices.

If you do not want to receive these notices, disable this option.
Within CP, Edit Options?

Dec 28, 2008
wiltshire
I am Very interested in doing the course as part of mountain leader training. I have no previous first aid experience
Ho do i contact about my suitability for this course

Many thanks

James

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Within CP, Edit Options?

I hadn't thought of switching them all off........good point :D
I still think I'd check with Admin though since the site requires an email address before you can register, and since this email technically came from Admin......

cheers,
Toddy

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey

Within CP, Edit Options?

That is what I asked before.

I am happy for the administrators to contact me about administration issues, I just don't
want to receive advertising.

I originally only asked how to turn off advertising emails, but other people seemed to have
widened the scope, and since they have, where in the Ts and Cs did I agree to bulk
unsolicited email advertising?

First Aid isn't particularly relevant to bushcrafters - no more so than teachers or bricklayers
or sailors or dancers or policemen or tennis players or car-drivers or parents or alcoholics
etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE