Adder with two noggins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It occurs with certain species of snakes more than others through some genetic cock up. Most notably within the King snake and rat snake families of North America. Within our own species of snakes, especially our native viper, it is very very rare and has seldom been documented let alone photographed. This juvenile looks to be at least a year old and would have survived hibernation.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cool stuff, one thing I've always wondered in situations like that; are both heads quite active? or does one seem to take a backseat. Always just wondered how they go about doing things? Great picture, you must be chuffed with that? Cheers for letting us see,
GB.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Which head does the eating ?

It must manage fine though if it's (they ?) survived the Winter though.

Cracking to get a photo of such a rare thing :)

M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's not my picture, don't know who took it, but it was this year down south. I've seen this with an adder, but it was a still birth (and it's in my freezer).

In terms of functionality, both heads are living individuals, but only the one has control over the body and eating etc. It is highly unlikely it will live out the rest of the year as the mortality rate is 100% and only a small number of a different species has reached adult hood and that was in captivity.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Which head does the eating ?

It must manage fine though if it's (they ?) survived the Winter though.

Cracking to get a photo of such a rare thing :)

M

If you look at the picture carefully, you'll see the head on the left is the main head with control, and the other is off to the side. In the wild, this head will get snagged and caught and sees quite a bit of damage as it lives its daily life.

SoggyBiscuit

Jul 30, 2014
Scotland
That's pretty amazing! I love adders but have not been lucky enough to see one in a few years. It's always a fascinating experience to come across one but to see something as rare as this would be something else. Shame the odds are stacked against the poor bugger.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Do you have a separate freezer for all your specimens JD or does Em play Russian roulette when she goes looking for something for dinner? :rolleyes:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Do you have a separate freezer for all your specimens JD or does Em play Russian roulette when she goes looking for something for dinner? :rolleyes:

Yeah- A nasty surprise if you were looking for a ice lolly!

Seriously though, that's amazing!

Oh- has anyone seen that weird cow (possibly sheep?) in the Bowes museum- I saw it on a school trip when I was a young'un. :).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE