A Walk in a Disappearing Land.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Just got back from a couple of days walking, there is a lovely oasis of nature hemmed in between Lichfield Tamworth and Birmingham called Weeford Canwell & Hints. Step away from the busy A38 road and you are in another world, sadly though it won’t remain the haven it is at present because the High Speed 2 Rail line is going to run straight through it. Having walked the area for years and knowing it very well it’s sad to think this lovely area will be lost as I know it, and all just so folks can save a few minutes on their train journey. Years ago the same area had the misfortune of having the M6 Toll Motorway built through it, to relieve congestion on the normal M6 we were told, well the normal M6 is still as congested as ever because folks don’t like paying the toll fare. In the 1970s this area was a big shooting estate, it held thousands of pheasants and rabbits, the land has been whittled away ever since. With the A38, the M6 Toll Motorway and now HS2 Rail to follow, all flowing through the same area, it’s sad to see the land I have walked so often disappearing.

Starting the walk I had to cross the very busy A38, so busy a cyclist campaigned for a bridge, I haven’t got a clue who he was but thanks to him folks can now cross safely.

51302a79-0df0-4c09-a9b8-65da51aba520.jpg

The bridge echoes and rattles as you walk across though as the floor is only steel, so much so that a warning notice has been erected for horses. Anyone travelling up the A38 to the Bushcraft Show this weekend will be driving under this bridge.

weeford20061.jpg

At last across the A38, this is the countryside that will change forever when HS2 Rail goes right through it.

weeford20244.jpg
weeford20277.jpg

weeford20310.jpg

weeford20321.jpg

This field will completely disappear forever, it’s on the exact line of HS2 Rail.

weeford20357.jpg

And this field will disappear too, to be replaced with a view of the HS2 Rail line.

weeford20386.jpg

And this lovely field will sadly go the same way and be lost forever.

weeford20413.jpg

There is a lovely little stream that runs through the valley which holds some nice wild brown trout, I wonder how the fish and stream will fare with the changes. Under the bridge this pic was taken was a 1 ½ lb brown trout.

weeford20426.jpg

A pic of camp for the night with hobo stove on the go.

weeford20107.jpg

Following the stream after waking I found this old stonework in the undergrowth, perhaps some old relic from an old mill leat or something. A curved dam-like stone wall with a raised arched bridge behind it, funny what you come across.

weeford20381.jpg

Homeward bound, something nice about walking leafy lanes.

9b80cb09-c2b4-4ed5-9fb5-1244a7de9bce.jpg

Thanks for looking, ATB :)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I've driven through that general locality many times and always enjoy the gently undulating ground with woodland. I hadn't realised the appalling HS2 project would impinge on this...a huge waste of money and environment at outrageous cost at a time when politicians are supposed to be resolving the national debt crisis....all for saving half an hour on the train when business travellers can use the Internet anyway. Thanks for posting..

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dont worry. All the big money from the Industrial Military Complex, and Global Tech companies, will create the AI's soon enough, and they'll wipe us all out. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Will the train line totally obliterate the area Joonsy, or is it a corridor cutting it in two ?

It'd still make you want to cry to see that beautiful land riven apart though.

Lovely place to go for a wander and see it change through the seasons.

M

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I've driven through that general locality many times and always enjoy the gently undulating ground with woodland.
You used a transport infrastructure (road) which has changed the nature of the landscape but you're not happy about a different type of transport infrastructure (rail) that will change the nature of the landscape.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Will the train line totally obliterate the area Joonsy, or is it a corridor cutting it in two ?

It'd still make you want to cry to see that beautiful land riven apart though.

Lovely place to go for a wander and see it change through the seasons.

M

The ''finished'' product will be a large corridor cutting through the area, however during the actual building process lots of surrounding land will be totally obliterated and massively changed, vehicle access roads for construction and large storage and supply yards etc will be built for it’s construction. Another thing often overlooked apart from visual aspects is the after effects of noise and disturbance. The look and feel of the area will just not feel or sound the same when high speed trains thunder past at 200 miles an hour several times a day. I’m not against development when necessary but this project just seems to offer so little to gain. The nearby Toll road took up a massive amount of land for so little gain and it did not fulfil the reason it was built in the first place and is running at a massive loss, I think HS2 will end up the same. So much lost for so little gain. 14 ancient woodlands will be lost and 21 will be damaged along the route of HS2, and there is a human cost too of people losing homes etc, lots of property has already been bought in the area by the ministry. Thanks for your replies folks, have a nice weekend. ATB :)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
You used a transport infrastructure (road) which has changed the nature of the landscape but you're not happy about a different type of transport infrastructure (rail) that will change the nature of the landscape.
You'd have to look at exact lengths of highway, their age and origin and the business case at the time they were created to respond to the point I think you're trying to make. At this point in time HS2 is controversial due to the questionable cost/ benefit conclusions, besides which, we're running out of land as populations expand too. I'm here to celebrate the natural world and really should leave economic political debate to others...but it's impossible not to be affected by yet more destruction of natural habitat.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

I think I'd be happier with a proper railway system as the UK used to have or as other European countries still have rather than one fairly expensive fast line. There have been studies carried out in other parts of Europe that suggest that a slower, more frequent, regular and timely rail service has better take up (people use rail rather than drive) and provides more economic benefits than expensive super fast 'flagship' systems like the one proposed.

I have seen a lot of the landscape around my childhood home (Edinburgh) ripped up and replaced with buildings and roads, its sad to see but nature has a way of creeping back in, in the end the trees will win I think. :)

Mod hat on. Lets not get into the politics of the thing.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think I'd be happier with a proper railway system as the UK used to have or as other European countries still have rather than one fairly expensive fast line. There have been studies carried out in other parts of Europe that suggest that a slower, more frequent, regular and timely rail service has better take up (people use rail rather than drive) and provides more economic benefits than expensive super fast 'flagship' systems like the one proposed.

+1 to that.

This is an interesting read on the subject ...

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2013...are-killing-the-european-railway-network.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE