A short walk in the Palatinate Forest (pics & panoramas)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I recently moved to this magnificient area, the largest forest in Germany!

Here are some pics & I tried my hand at panoramas, this is just a 4 minute drive from my home!

Sorry for the crappy quality of the pics, I did only bring my phone. I need to get my proper camera out!

IMG_0783-1 by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

IMG_0796-2 by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

IMG_0798-3 by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

IMG_0799-4 by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

IMG_0800-5 by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

What kind of butterfly is this?

IMG_0808-6 by Eva und Michael, on Flickr

Panorama 1

Panorama 2

Thanks for looking. :)

Mike

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Great pics, thanks for sharing :)

The butterfly looks like the markings of a Purple Emperor but I believe only the male has the purple sheen. I am no expert, though, I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct me!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Awesome place! I used to live in Bann, not far from Kaiserslautern and the forest backed onto our house. Brilliant place but they're not that happy about wild camping and firelighting so you have to be careful. Loads of funghi though!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Awesome place! I used to live in Bann, not far from Kaiserslautern and the forest backed onto our house. Brilliant place but they're not that happy about wild camping and firelighting so you have to be careful. Loads of funghi though!

Yeah I know wild camping here in Germany is always a hassle. Especially in national parks.

Anyway, the flora and fauna are spectacular here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah I know wild camping here in Germany is always a hassle. Especially in national parks.

It's a real shame as there are some v large expanses of forest where you could lose yourself for days. As a more 'outdoorsy' nation (that's the impression I go in the last place I lived), I was always surprised at how opposed the authorities were to wild camping. Mind you, not much different in England...

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains

Anyway, the flora and fauna are spectacular here

OK I have done some research on wild camping in Germany and as long as you follow a few basic rules depending on where you want to sleep it is possible.
1)All german states say you cant camp on agricultural land (forest are counted as agricultural) HOWEVER :):) camping is defined as a tent or motorhome. Under German law you are allowed to take a rest in the forest, a bivi bag is totally OK for a night and a tarp is at the moment a grey area and is allowed as long as you are only staying in that location for one night.
2) Different states have different rules on pitching a tent on open access land , here in the south it is allowed as long as long as it is not agricultural, so camping in a tent in my area above the tree line is fine.

Hope this helps

Phil

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
OK I have done some research on wild camping in Germany and as long as you follow a few basic rules depending on where you want to sleep it is possible.
1)All german states say you cant camp on agricultural land (forest are counted as agricultural) HOWEVER :):) camping is defined as a tent or motorhome. Under German law you are allowed to take a rest in the forest, a bivi bag is totally OK for a night and a tarp is at the moment a grey area and is allowed as long as you are only staying in that location for one night.
2) Different states have different rules on pitching a tent on open access land , here in the south it is allowed as long as long as it is not agricultural, so camping in a tent in my area above the tree line is fine.

Hope this helps

Phil

Hi Phil!

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I know that bivy bag should be good, didn't know about the tarp!

The problem in my area is that there is forest everywhere LOL. And national park at that. Also, I'm below the tree line ;)

In Germany, the hunters and forest wardens are generally tending towards being hostile towards it.

It's different in the mountains above the tree line. No problems there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE