A question for the pipe smokers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I’m partial to the odd pipe and have a couple of tins of tobacco that, like an idiot, I didn’t store very well which have dried out.
They are still smokeable just not as pleasant as fresher tobacco but I was wondering if anyone knows if I can improve them by adding some moisture.

Usually I would store in a sealed bag with a damp humidor stone but this time I completely forgot.
Will adding one now the tobacco is dry do anything to help matters or am I flogging a dead horse/potentially making things worse?

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it ready rubbed,flake or plug?
For RR and flake get a small kilner jar and store it in there with a humidor stone
For plug slice it to flake then do the same

It'll help.
Alternatively buy another tin/pouch of the tobacco assuming you like it, mix the dry older stuff in with the new and store in kilner jar (the ikea copy are as good and cheaper)

Or put a (very)small dash of favourite rum/whisky/brandy in the baccy and leave to soak. I did that to a jar of HH Old Dark Fired that had gone crispy dry and its amazin now

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That Old Dark Fired is something isn't it? I discovered it by accident when internet browsing, a load had been discovered at the factory and it went viral amongst pipe smokers. Never to be seen again apparently?

Still available these days, I wonder if they recreated it? Good stuff, but not as nice as my fave McClelland British Woods, a wonderful winter puff.

Alas McCellands have packed up n its all gone as people frantically hoarded it.
Mac Barens HH Old Dark Fired is a daily smoke for me, they're latakia flake and virginia flakes are tip top too.
Im also partial to Germains Rich Dark Flake, Special latakia flake and controversial to some GH Ennerdale Flake. Not forgetting the patron saint of pipes St.Bruno :)

Those are the staples now that players navy flake is no more.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Alas McCellands have packed up n its all gone as people frantically hoarded it.
Mac Barens HH Old Dark Fired is a daily smoke for me, they're latakia flake and virginia flakes are tip top too.
Im also partial to Germains Rich Dark Flake, Special latakia flake and controversial to some GH Ennerdale Flake. Not forgetting the patron saint of pipes St.Bruno :)

Those are the staples now that players navy flake is no more.

That's sad news, I like the McClelland blends. Most are Latakia heavy, which I love, I must try and find some more British Woods. I have Pebble Cut and a few others, Blue Mountain is really very good. My tobacco use is giving way to a vape thing, which has the same fans and interest, but I do like the occasional pipe while sat by my fire.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks all, I think a few drops of a nice cognac or single malt will be the answer by the sound of it.
The tobacco in question, which I think is are both flake, are Peterson’s summertime 2014 and holiday season 2015 so not much chance of finding any more but they are my favourites by far.
Sadly I normally store all my “nice” tobaccos in sealed kilner jars but these got overlooked.
Thanks for all the replies.

Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I am using vape to kick cigarettes but i cant/dont want to kick pipes.
I find them very relaxing and give me a chance to sit still doing nothing which makes a nice break for me!

How is the vaping working out for you?
I have been using mine just over 3 years now and not one cigarette which was something I never thought I would be able say.

The pipe and occasional cigar are now a treat for me and I find I enjoy them much more now that im not smoking other tobacco products regularly.

Reactions: Sundowner
I have been using mine just over 3 years now and not one cigarette which was something I never thought I would be able say.

The pipe and occasional cigar are now a treat for me and I find I enjoy them much more now that im not smoking other tobacco products regularly.

Im down to 3 a day.
From about 20 or more......

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Vaping works fine for me most of the time, I can get quite caught up in the paraphernalia of it all too. I like a low nicotine cloudy vape, having tried the pen vapes and higher nic liquids.

I'm guilty of smoking a roll up while hanging out of the back door in the early morning while my elderly Jack Russell mooches around the garden. It's not a time when I fancy strawberry flavour or whatever. If I can kick that one, then I'm tobacco free apart from gently puffing my pipe, and that's only around a campfire so not very often.

If you like Petersons I'm fairly sure I have an unopened tin of Petersons Perfect Plug in the baccy drawer.

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
A quick question to you pipe smokers, where does one start? What would be a reasonable budget pipe and tobacco if you just want to try pipe smoking? I gave up cigarettes over 30 years ago but the idea of sitting in the woods with a pipe has an appeal, I've just never smoked one or tried one. Thanks.

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
I kicked the cigs by vaping for years, and kicked the vape with nicotine lozenges as I got sick of the faffing about with bottles and coils.

Started pipe smoking 6 months or so back, just once a day usually, and a missouri meerschaum corncob pipe is a good place to start. Baccy wise, you'll just have to try loads until you find a few you like.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Most new pipe smokers begin with aromatics
You can get samples from smoke-king (i think its them) buy a cheap MM corn cob as suggested and go from there.
Be wary of tongue bite though
That'll spoil your experience

I was going to suggest something with an aromatic top note, I used to like the dark cherry stuff. Maybe try Kendal Cream, it’s quite an easy smoke.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1963/samuel-gawith-kendal-cream-deluxe-flake

Good point about tongue bite, just keep your pipe gently alight and have a box of matches handy. Puffing hard will give you tongue bite, or a few drips of vile liquid into your mouth. A lot of tobaccos get better from going out and being sparked up again.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
A quick question to you pipe smokers, where does one start? What would be a reasonable budget pipe and tobacco if you just want to try pipe smoking? I gave up cigarettes over 30 years ago but the idea of sitting in the woods with a pipe has an appeal, I've just never smoked one or tried one. Thanks.

As others have said something in the aromatic range is a good start - personally I like Kendall cherry and vanilla as a nice mellow smoke though my go to tends to be Peterson’s summertime or holiday mix.
There’s a whole world of flavours and mixes to suit your personal taste.
Testers are also a good place to experiment before dropping £10-15 for a whole pouch or tin.

Corn cobs are a cheap place to start but you can spend a little more (£30 ish) for a decent pipe, Dr Plumb is a pretty good budget brand.
I started with 9mm filter pipes which have replaceable filters and never moved away from them, just personal preference but I find it gives a smoother smoke.

One other thing I’ve found is to smoke in a fairly confined space, the man cave works well as the missus would kill me if I tried indoors.
Having no wind or drafts around really helps to taste the flavours in aromatics.
Letting a little of the smoke drift from your mouth up to your nose is something akin to savouring the aroma of a fine wine or scotch.

Anyways just my tuppence ha’penny worth!

Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE