A Little Whittler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Some time ago, on the Gift It On thread, I acquired a little stainless steel friction folder.
I've never had a friction folder before so it was a good opportunity to see how I got on with one.

I didn't.

I didn't like the arm bit sticking out when the blade was folded and I didn't like how the blade wasn't as tight as I would have liked.
And I also had the devil of a time putting a decent edge on this particular blade.
So it stayed in a pot with other bits and pieces.

Then one day I had an idea.
I'd take it apart and re-handle the blade.
And that is what I've done.

49258677836_cb66d1bb35.jpg

The handle is made from some spare strip hardwood - the kind of thing you can pick up in DIY stores.
The tang had a hole on the end so I used that to take an internal pin to hold the blade. It was then stuck in place, with the two side pieces, with some epoxy.
Once dry it was shaped using a Dremel and then given a couple of wipes with walnut oil.
I also took the chance to reshape the blade. It was a very deep blade and the whole of the cutting edge was curved. So I slimmed it and gave it a straight cutting edge.
I am also very pleased to say that, with the blade free of the original handle, I have managed to sharpen it up quite nicely now.
Now I have myself a little nipper, just right for a bit of whittling and carving.

49258867632_08f22f6a06.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE