A little firecraft training.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Been out with the family today on a little walk and went past a stack of silver birch logs and sticks. My eldest (3) asked what the white is on the sticks. I said bark, perfect for making fire with.

He: "Can we make a camp fire in the garden?"

Me: **big grin**

The strips of bark are good tinder, even when damp. I used the Fallkniven F1 to process the sticks to make kindling.

Then I used a ferro rod to ignite the bark (it ignites really fast and has a big flame instantly) and put the kindling and the rest of the sticks on. The whole process from starting to process the sticks and splitting the bigger sticks and preparing the bark took about 10 minutes.

As the sticks were wet (you might be able to hear it in the video) they take a long time to dry out and catch flame when they are not split and if they still have the bark on (the bark is more or less waterproof).

So if you have questionable wood (damp) it is always a good idea to at least split the sticks once, as then the water vapour can get out of the wood a lot faster, which means that the stick dries out a lot quicker and the fire is less prone to dying down when the bark has burned out.

[video=youtube;eyQ3vqTTzAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQ3vqTTzAM[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE