A knitted jumper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Found a nice one at the Car Boot. labeled `Pure Falklands Wool`

But it needs dealing with frays at the cuffs

Also, how do I tell if its knitted by hand or a machine?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The body is knitted in the round.

But the arms seem to be hand sewed...hard to tell, its felted up.

the label is hand sewed in.

Its a nice jumper; I got it for £1. She has too many jumpers.

And its old, but I can see a jumper worth having with a bit of a humour

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's called a knitting machine Janne !
Falklands wool label? Could be hand knitted but sewn together by a machine called a linker. This was one of my first jobs sewing together ...with a linker.... jumpers but they were also machine knitted.
If anyone bought a wooly hat with a bobble on from the army and navy stores in 1975.. I also made all the bobbles and hand sewed them on as an outworker to make extra cash! The bobbles were made by machine when I had time while waiting for the next batch of jumpers to come off the knitters. I then took them home to sew on to the hats a sackful of 500 hats at a time!
Back to your sweater Tengu. It sounds just like one I bought yesterday from the charity shop. (Mine is red and white and very nordic looking.).
If it's propper wool it's well worth getting a sewing needle out and sewing it up .you could bind the sleeve cuffs with some wide ribbon or just turn them under half an inch and hem them loosely so the cuff still stretches but looks neater.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bobble girl!

Not many people today know how much effort went into everyday things in the past. (Or today, but much of the labour intensive manufacturing is far away.)

Mother not only knitted for us, but also made envelopes.

Yes, it is logical it is called a knitting machine. Mom had one, but she preferred to use those pins.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bobble girl! .... cheeky blighter! Take one on the backside young man! Don't cheek your elders! Bit of respect if you don't mind! I wore my fingers to the bone making those flipping bobble hats! Day and night to earn a crust!
I've just finished another pair of long socks on those "pin things" and am just about to finish a pair of fingerless mitts to match. Then any scraps of wool go into knitted squares to make blankets..... I'm still at it even after all these years, though if I knit a hat... I never make a bobble for it. :) :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The bobble should be red.
I have had two versions, one quite compact round one, and one more simp,e, fluffy one.
If I buy knitted head coverings (=hats) and it does not have one, I make one and attach.

Even if I am fast approaching the Big 6-O, I like a bit of colour!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is there not a method of use a ‘knitting machine’ to make the individual parts, and those are sewn together by hand?

You know that machine?

That looks machine knitted though.

@Tengu, if it's knitted in the round it most likely is hand knitted, check the neckline, if it's cast off or folded over and stitched down, again it's most likely hand knitted.

Falklands wool was either sold as hanks/balls to hand knitters, or sometimes we got fleece and it was handspun too. If the lady doing the spinning had labels made up, and many of us have our own labels for our yarn, then the knitters often added those into the garments they made.
That's another point, how is the label sewn in ? and is it a printed or a woven label ? Mine are woven.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE