A Few Days In Devon : 11th - 13th November (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After the cancellation of a local meet, Ivan and I decided to test out a couple of new sites in Devon. I met up with Ivan and Mongoose13 (aka: Katie, Ivan's mini crafter) in the south east Devon area, then headed to camp number 1. Our first port of call was Andy Bruce's woods, which is predominantly birch, with scots pine, willow and sweet chestnut, breaking up the sea of silver. Shortly after arriving at the site, we were joined by Mr Bruce himself. All set up and settled in, Ivan cracked on with the chicken (whole and cooked in the dutch oven), we admired the various shelters, that Andy and his previous lodgers had erected, before gathering around the fire for the grub and a chatter.
The next day, Andy and Katie got busy with spoon crafting, Ivan got busy with firewood collection, and I don't think I did anything much :). Sadly Andy had to leave us that afternoon, but kindly gave us permission to remain for a further night. Katie did some more spoon crafting, Ivan gathered yet more wind-fallen twigs for the fire, and I crafted a fireside perch ;).
Burgers and veg for tea that night, accompanied by a nice bottle of white, before bed.
After breaking camp Sunday morning, we had to return the mini crafter, as she had school Monday. We then headed out to a lovely softwood plantation, which suffered from the usual darkness of such places, but we set up close to the edge and found a fair amount of light. A cracking pork casserole/roast/fry/hotpot/something like that (prepared in the dutchie again, by Ivan), for supper, then bed.
Monday morning and time to get heading home, so we broke camp again, drove into town, then said fair well to the weekend.

Here are some of the photos, taken over the weekend, in no particular order...

IMGP3857.jpg

IMGP3908.jpg

IMGP3858.jpg

IMGP3861.jpg

IMGP3863.jpg

IMGP3864.jpg

IMGP3867.jpg

IMGP3868.jpg

IMGP3894.jpg

IMGP3907.jpg

IMGP3919.jpg

IMGP3934.jpg

IMGP3936.jpg

IMGP3940.jpg

IMGP3918.jpg

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice photos of a great weekend , thanks Adam , i am sure there are more pics on the cutting room floor , along with a little vid .

All a bit new to me that dark soft wood thing , still like a carpet underfoot, and so sheltered ,firewood everywhere.

Great company as ever , good bit of grub too, Katie had her smile on upside down , at having to go home early.

Thanks for being part of it , and a special thanks to Andy for the use of his wood.

Hopefully an impromtu meet before the year end.

Ivan...

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011
Really good weekend. I finally got a chance use my new knife :D Its brilliant!! Shame I couldn't stay longer. School just gets in the way :L

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Looks like a great few days, damn work getting in the way of having fun! I'm hoping for a few days off before Christmas to meet up with you guys and perhaps share some of my home made mead, it's ready!

PS. Where is that folding grill from, I've got a plate stand from wilkinsons that's similar but not as long as that one.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Nice pictures Adam. Looks like you guys had a great time. Your last venue was exactly where I started bushcrafting 50 years ago - though it wasn't called bushcrafting back then.

I'm gutted that I couldn't make this meet.

When's the next one?

ATB

Paul

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Looks like a great weekend. Nice pics Adam, if i'd known you were down I could have dropped off that wood to you. Think that forest deserves a personal explore :)

It was a great weekend.
Paul W, count me in for mead :) and your knife was posted 1st class today. The grill was from Robert Dyas, as I couldn't find any in our local Wilko's.
Paul N, bushcrafting, wild camping, mucking about in the woods...whatever it's called, it's all the same to me :p.
Skate, Ivan said you might have been able to pop out for a day or something, but we didn't really have a plan to follow, so couldn't arrange much with anyone. Plus I didn't bring your sheath, so couldn't have taken any wood of your hands...it's not a proper trade then :D

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Adam, for posting that , should make Paul N suitably home sick !
Katie and I are going over to camp there tonight , and i think Skate is popping over or a brew and a wander .

We are going to sort out a mini meet in that wood , didn't realise it was so big ! a few mushroom gatherers, off the beaten track , with baskets full of produce .
Bumped into a lady with an array of fungi , she sells to a top local restaurant , and made me promise not to tell where i had seen her , not to worry i wouldn't know what to look for and probably couldn't find the spot again anyhow!!

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Nice little vid. Well shot and well produced - as usual. Thanks guys.

My guess is you camped in the area of plantation beside the Bovey Straights between Drumbridges and the Bovey Straights garage. Am I right Ivan?

Some info on the Great Plantation: As Ivan mentioned it is now Forestry Commision land but 3 hundred years ago it used to be part of the Stover Estate - as did vast swathes of land in the area. It was the folks from the Stover estate that ran Haytor granite quarries and built the granite railway and Stover canal. This to bring the granite down to Teignmouth for shipping to London to built the old London bridge. There are many lumps and bumps in the Great Plantation. Surprisingly, these are the remains of alluvial tin workings. Once you know what you're looking at you'll start seeing them everywhere in that area.

Sorry to be a nurd but I know Ivan is interested in this stuff.

ATB

Paul

Last edited:

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Thanks Adam, for posting that , should make Paul N suitably home sick !

Damn! You know me too well! :)

Yes, it is big isn't it? Living where I did and having that right on my doorstep you can understand why I turned into Jungleboy aged about 9. The Poles from Stover Camp used to go foraging for fungi back then and I deeply regret not learning from them, as kids we just used to laugh at them. C'est la vie!

ATB

Paul

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Paul , firstly not where you thought , the old Teigngrace road ,near compass caravans but back towards Newton about three quarters of a mile , less dog walkers etc , relatively safe parking and not too far to get in the thick of things .

Of course i am looking forward to you being our guide ! coz you know that woods like the back of your hand, thanks for the info , the most time i had spent in that wood , was running away from police and security having tried to convince Stover girls to come out to play , many moons ago !!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
By the way , seeing as it is nearly the season to be jolly ! good will to all bushcrafters and all that .

When in the wood i found a Carluccios mushroom knife, ( google it for pics ) its in pretty good nick is complete including brush and tweezers, so first person to baggsy it on this thread , i will post it to them gratis

Nice bloke aren't i ? ( some say ! )

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
running away from police and security having tried to convince Stover girls to come out to play , many moons ago !!

Oh you did that too!? :)

Ingsdon Covent (Girl's School) was another night raid for us - with the old Bill close on my heels I managed to vault a 10 foot wall almost at a single bound! Funny old stuff adrenalin!! :)

ATB

Paul

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Dave , hope all is well , not a problem my friend , many happy hours shroom hunting ! can't get to the post office till Monday , but it will be winging its way to you then .

Atb Ivan...

Ps hope we can get together soon .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE