a crazy leather belt and a leaky poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....dunno whether this should be here or in kit chatter.....

ok i dug out this old belt and thought i'd put it on here....i bought it at a car boot about 15 years ago...finally got round to doing a quick bit of research....am i correct in thinking this is a verrrrrry old firemans belt? it has merryweather stamped on the inside....its about 4 feet long and 2.25" wide....the leathers in good nick but could do with a bit of help....is neatsfoot what i should use to give it back some health?

BELT1LOW.jpg

BELT2LOW.jpg

also....ive a couple of old british army 58 pattern ponchos....on the inside around the neck holes the tapes starting to dry up and come off leaving it leaky....any recommendations on what tape i should use to repair it would be appreciated...

regards

a

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Can't tell you if it's a vintage fireman's belt but I wouldn't use neatsfoot oil to restore it.
If it was mine I would give it a good dose of leather conditioner such as Grangers then a couple of coats of shoe polish. If you wanted to bring back the colour then dark brown/tan would probably work though I prefer it's used look & would use clear shoe polish.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cant say for sure but i had a very similar belt dated 1914(buckle identical some slight differance with the stitching and rivets) sizes you give sound similar too, it was a army issue trouser belt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE