A couple of questions. Flint Strikers and Candle lanterns.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
A couple of years ago i bought a forged flint striker. I never used it much, preferring a lighter or firesteel, but as i had the day off i thought i would play in the garden with it. I was striking it vigorously as it was never great for sparks and it snapped in half. i know there used to a few for sale on here but havent seen any recently after returning to the forum. Anyone point me in the right direction for one? Thanks.

Second question - has anyone got the oil lamp modification to the UCO candle lanterns? Is the mod any good? Better or worse than the candles? Or about the same? Burn time compared to the 9 hour candles? Thanks again.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A couple of years ago i bought a forged flint striker. I never used it much, preferring a lighter or firesteel, but as i had the day off i thought i would play in the garden with it. I was striking it vigorously as it was never great for sparks and it snapped in half. i know there used to a few for sale on here but havent seen any recently after returning to the forum. Anyone point me in the right direction for one? Thanks.

Second question - has anyone got the oil lamp modification to the UCO candle lanterns? Is the mod any good? Better or worse than the candles? Or about the same? Burn time compared to the 9 hour candles? Thanks again.

As I'm old and decrepit I have the oil inserts for a few of their different lanterns back when they were still Northern Lights. Work better in cold weather, especially over the spring loaded candle. Can mix anti midge oil in with it if needed. Paraffin cheaper than candles. Last longer than candles though even in winter Scotland a candle should do you a night. Used them in the house, snow cave, tent, great though can be sooty compared to candles unless your wick management is good.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
The sharpness of your flint is critical with a steel strike-a-light. Once the edge gets crushed and blunted you wont get sparks.

[video=youtube;AWOUzPEQ3_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOUzPEQ3_Y[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE