A Beginner's Tale of Flint Knapping: Any Interest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I am about to embark upon a journey of pain, frustration, possible blood and the odd profanity.

To be honest that has applied to all the traditional skills I've dabbled with, but in this specific case I'm talking about the art of making stone tools. I have been reading various sources and looking at as many examples in local (and national) collections as I can, and now is the time to put hammer to thumb.

I can't promise how regularly I will post but if folks would like to share my pain then I plan to report as I go (with pictures of the various bruises and puncture wounds), from the perspective of a complete beginner.

It is kind of an indulgence, a bit like my pump drill story, but people seemed to be interested in that so I hope I won't waste too many electrons with my observations and conclusions.

Watch this space..............ouch!

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Yes, we like to see blood. Apart from that I'd be very interested in hearing about your experience. :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Yep. Want to see this. I've tried and been rubbish at it. So need to try a lot more. As such seeing your progress and the things you make would be great inspiration.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yep. Want to see this. I've tried and been rubbish at it. So need to try a lot more. As such seeing your progress and the things you make would be great inspiration.

Thank you for the generous assumption that I will progress!

I have worked with Will Lord; I am not fit to sweep up his debitage...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
THis will be good to watch.. I lookforward to it just one of the skills I would like to aquire :)

Haggis

Nomad
I fiddled with it a lot 25 years ago: chert, noveculite, obsidian, milk glass, bottle bottoms, plate glass, anything that would flake. When I was yet teaching I would sometimes, when we were studying primitive peoples, knap out a point for my students. When my students started showing up with large smiles, first try points, and bandaged fingers I decided I would try to teach them something less dangerous.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sounds great! I'm interested!

I tried a few arrow heads and I used a percussion flaked I made from antler, but unfortunately for me on one of my blows I missed and hit my thumb! It's all good fun, I reckon you'll do great too! :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well it looks like I've gone and done it now; I shall have to work out what to do first.

I acquired a nice big bit of workable stone (albeit not good black flint) from the soakaway around the building I work in. I have some antler tines, a copper pressure flaker, a couple of hammer stones and the relevant protective kit.

What can possibly go wrong?

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Well it looks like I've gone and done it now; I shall have to work out what to do first.

I acquired a nice big bit of workable stone (albeit not good black flint) from the soakaway around the building I work in. I have some antler tines, a copper pressure flaker, a couple of hammer stones and the relevant protective kit.

What can possibly go wrong?

images

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thank you for the generous assumption that I will progress!

I have worked with Will Lord; I am not fit to sweep up his debitage...

Ditto. Did a one day course and failed to do much but make gravel. John took pity on me and tuned my ever shrinking axe into an actual tool.
I'm booked to go back for another go and we can but see if I still suck terribly. Leg pad and a glove for your holding hand. Sorted.

Getting a large lump into usable bits I struggled with too. I'm rubbish :)

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
The old saying is that by the time you've reduced 200lbs of rock to gravel, you'll get the hang of it ;-)

Go spend a day with John (and Val - she's a treasure too ;-) - it will be a day you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Peter

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have made a start and laid out the kit that I have so far:

Knapping Kit.jpg

After I'd put it all away again I realised I'd forgotten to show the leg pad, antler tines and eye protection....

The smaller nodules are good black stuff and that arrowhead blank is one I intend to pressure flake to finish (I didn't make the blank).

The main focus of my baby steps will be the big sandy lump at the top of the shot; the idea is not to ruin the good stone just yet. I will try to describe my thought process behind each step, what I hoped would happen and what actually DID happen. I plan to use dollops of paint on the nodule to show impact points and hoped for direction of flake removal(Optimistic or what).

If I'm in the mood I might be able to bruise a thumb or two over the weekend.

Thanks for the interest folks, I hope I repay it with something worth reading!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE