9th Wilderness Gathering.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
Who's going to the wolderness gathering? We are thinking about going. Is it suitable for a complete newbie? Hs anyone been to the previous ones and has anyone taken small children? We have 3 girls aged 6,5 and 3.

If there are many going, will there be a meet up point for us all to say hello?

Dan

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Your family will have a great time. It is an event for all ages.
I have been going for 6 years and only missed one which was last year due to my daughter being born on the saturday. I will be flying over from germany this year and all ready have my ticket.

Phil

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
It's a great day out although your pocket may take a hit. There's racoons and prarie type dogs so the kids will be kept interested. Theres a it of a lake so you can try out a canoe, lots of stalls to buy stuff, archery for all ages and you can try your hand at axe throwing(took me an age to get it right). Backpacking light (Honey Stove makers) are usually there. If you fancy some nice meat buy some from the on site farmshop very good bison. Enjoy

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
It is good but beware your wallet can take a massive hit! Loads of trade stalls to spend serious money at.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
When Scoman says your pocket may take a hit he is right, There is so much nice stuff to buy there:) Good tip if your looking to buy stuff is check out the bring and buy stall first

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
We are thinking of going for the long weekend. What are the food stalls like? I want to find out as much as I can because this is pretty much our one holiday this year.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
I see what you mean about some of the trade stalls. I think swmbo will have to steer me well away from there! We just haven't got the budget this year to splash out. :(

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
also, as a complete newbie I only have equipment that I have come across in work (I'll tell you what I do another day). So, apart from from our good selves and camping gear, what should I bring???????

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
You may want to bring some of your own food to cook, you can buy bison,elk meat from the farm and there is a food tent selling burgers and stuff during the day.
If you run short of fresh food for the kids there is a garage 5 min drive away but I try to bring what I need for the weekend so I don't have to leave the site. Bring all your own fruit and veg and stuff and you will be OK.
Other than that a good sense of humour is always good and just get stuck in and enjoy yourself, there is loads of stuff you can get involved in or you can just enjoy the social side of things as the name of the event suggests it is a gathering of like minded people:)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to ask, who's going? Along with the guys already mentioned, My friend just asked if i fancy going though just for the day, but even with splitting the fuel itll still be £50-70 for the trip plus day ticket alone, Is it worth going for just the day, if I wont be buying anything that is? is there a better one day to go on? are there skills on show or do you have to pay to watch demos?

Cheers Guys!

Ps I have a rogue hat, is it compulsory to wear it?:p

Ive got a Stall again this year but need to get my finger out and get some sharps made to put on it

the food is ok but as with all these types of event its fairly pricey ok if its just the one day trip but if your camping i would take and cook your own or at least some of it

I usually do one trip to the Tesco s in Shaftsbury half way thru to top up on fresh stuff etc

ATB

Duncan

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Booked my ticket,it will be my first time at the gathering for me and im really looking forward to it.Better start saving my pennies as i now what im like just cant resist shinny things lol :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to ask, who's going? Along with the guys already mentioned, My friend just asked if i fancy going though just for the day, but even with splitting the fuel itll still be £50-70 for the trip plus day ticket alone, Is it worth going for just the day, if I wont be buying anything that is? is there a better one day to go on? are there skills on show or do you have to pay to watch demos?

Cheers Guys!

Ps I have a rogue hat, is it compulsory to wear it?:p

Any answers dudes?

Any answers dudes?

you usually have to pay for the Demos there are several per day at 4 differnt locations usually £10 ea for day visitors if your staying all weekend you get them all at no extra cost etc

usually they are pretty basic stuff but covered well by instructors from the various schools etc ive picked up a few tips and tricks from them on subjects I know reasonably well but for me i wouldnt have paid the £10 and been happy on other subjects i know little about its good to see it demoed or talked about by the expert etc

ATB

Duncan

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yay! Going along for the day, will be cool to have a look at some bits of kit even if its just for the save for list, going on the Saturday and shall be wearing shorts, brown shirt over a tee shirt, rouge boots and a wide brimmed hat, I should stand out from the crowd:rolleyes::D:p!

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cool! I shall have this T shirt on for easy id! please don't throw things at me!

285469_10150342322304073_539479072_9664808_6884331_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE