.22LR without FAC? Yes, apparently you can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It seems the wide and varied interpretation of most laws, would encompass some ambiguous wording which would allow the police to successfully prosecute you. [For anything they see fit really.] Call me a pessimist, but the laws just seem to exist, to maintain the illusion of certain freedoms for the population.

I guess a .22 rimfire is a lethal weapon though, and there are certain sensible reasons for licensing?

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Wonder what the law would say if you took the gun off the range and into the field...?

You're nicked sunshine
smileys-police-323496.gif

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The law would have you for that - as it is not in use on the miniature rifle range. I do recall the 11(4) provision - mostly used by fairgrounds I think. Can't see many RFDs selling a gun under those circumstances though - I'm certain I would not sell one of my private .22sto anyone without a vacant slot on a section 1 ticket!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I will apply for a FAC when the time comes but stumbled across this and thought it was quite interesting. Assuming the land is suitable, should I apply for .22LR, .17HMR and FAC air at the same time?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Don't see the point of FAC air myself. Hugely expensive when you can get a moderated .22LR that does the same for less than half the cost.

My favourite bunny-basher is the .17HMR.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
But if I wanted to add a different calibre to my licence, wouldn't that take time and I'm assuming there's an admin fee? It's the .22LR that I'd be most likely to get.

Regarding the FAC air rifle - the ammunition is much cheaper so if you're doing a lot of shooting then I suppose it makes sense but they are pretty heavy compared to some .22LR's that I've shot

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...and considerably less powerful than a .22LR as well - even FAC air. Put in for two or three calibres and types, adding a rifle later (a variation) has a fee attached. If you decide you don't want a .17HMR and change for something else like a .243, there is no fee involved. Apply for moderators and expanding ammunition in all calibres as well

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
It comes under the old Defence of the Realm Act 1914 (DORA) and its regulations. E.G. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/.../bincombe_rifle_range.pdf‎

The British army was so poor at shooting during the Boer War and afterwards that it was decided that DORA ranges would be set up across the country to encourage marksmanship among civilians and this would 'read over' to military recruits with some knowledge of shooting. Changed days.

Typically the ranges were built alongside village and church halls and were two lanes. As mentioned they were designated 'Miniature Rifle Ranges', Many are still in existence, indeed my local club has one but to allow 0.22" pistol shooting we had to get a range safety certificate and a club FAC for the club guns as it was no longer used by just rifles.

Before this we had three Parker-Hale Mauser actioned 0.22" rifles off ticket and bought ammunition as needed. The NSRA (national Small Bore Rifle Association) issue a certificate confirming the legality of the range and purchases. Not necessary but it saves hassle in the gunsmith's.

The real fun off ticket were the 'Bell Target' competitions. Run in many pubs in the North and Midlands it involved shooting 0.22" rifle, (before long rifle) CB and BB caps across the pub floor to hit a bell which was behind a small hole in a steel plate. I bet it was interesting after a few drinks! I have never seen it but I am told it was as popular as darts. It still continues with air rifles.
http://www.belltarget.com/resources/Bell_Target_Story.pdf

yep gallery range is one way of owning rimfires and buying ammo with no FAC ticket but as said findign an RFD who will believe you unless known is difficult and you do have to comply with the Gallery rules

did you know you dont need a shotgun ticket to own or posses shotgun ammo just to buy it so if a mate gives you a few hundres shells your fine ;)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The only real reasons for air power are stealth and not shooting holes in roofs when shooting pigeons and rats in sheds

I suppose if I needed to do that then my sub-12ft-lbs Air Arms SE90 would be fine (actually, it would probably be fine for dropping bunnies but I've always wanted a .22LR)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE