2013 Course Dates

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've just worked out when I will be putting on courses next year and thought I should share :)

All of these are group courses of no more than 6 people and are all run within my 10 acre woodland in the heart of Devon. Free camping on site for students, whether you are a tree dweller or prefer the ground, I have plenty of space for both (and I won't tell you not to light a fire!). The (group) forging courses use my Historical Forge School, the oldest style of forge being over 2500 years old and the youngest more like 50; though mosty these days I use the Roman/Saxon forge and the 12th century one. On virtually all of the courses you will be using only hand tools, many of which have been made by my fair hands :cool:

More information and pictures of previous courses can be found on my website.

If the dates below don't work for you (or you have a different subject in mind), then find a few friends and I can run any course for your group at the same price. Alternatively if your friends are a bit rubbish or you prefer to be alone, then I can teach you anything that I can do on a one-to-one basis in my workshop (where I have more modern equipment to make life easier)

Hopefully I will see some of my wonderful BCUK friends in my woods over the coming year :grouphug:

January 26th Sheath Making (bring your own knife, axe, billhook, etc)
January 27th Pouch Making (solid case for possibles, man bag, etc)

February 23rd Sharpening (learn to sharpen axes and knives)
February 24th Axe Use (use a range of axes efficiently and safely)

March 2nd Blacksmithing (1 day taster: fork, poker, firesteel, etc)
March 3rd Blacksmithing (a 2nd day to make more stuff!)

March 23rd-25th Knife making (make a knife of your design plus sheath)

April 13th-14th Bow Making (European flatbows from my of cleft Ash)
April 15th Arrows (primitive arrows to compliment the bow)

May 25th-26th Axe making (small axe, hawk, adze, etc)
May 27th Axe Use/Sheath (Axe mask and/or safe use of your axe)

June 10th-14th Carving tools (make a range of carving knives and tools)

July 6th-7th Spears (forge a spearhead and make a shaft)

July 13th Sharpening (theory and kit, plus knives and axes)
July 14th Further Sharpening (Other tools such as scissors, drills,saws)

August 24th Bookbinders Sharp (sharpening course aimed at bookbinders)

September 7th-9th Knife Making (does what it says on the tin)

October 19th-20th Bow making (European flatbows agin)

November 16th-17th Blacksmithing (as above, but in time for Christmas!)

Some of the summer dates may have to move by a week once show organisers get back to me with dates, but I will update as needed.

Fatbob

Nomad
Jun 29, 2012
Godmanchester
Hi Dave, I am very much interested in joking the bow making course in April and the arrow day following it.
What do you need from me in the way of a deposit?
Best wishes
Fatbob

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm sure there will be joking as well :D

I ask for £50 deposits on weekend (or longer) courses, with the balance to be paid at anytime before the course begins. Once deposits are cleared I send out directions to the woods/workshops along with some nearby accomodation suggestions, though lots of folk prefer to camp in the woods :)

I shall pm you with payment details ;)

Jun 18, 2009
Brighton
Hi have contacted you via your site about the Knife/Sheath making course in September but not had any contact from you. Can you let me know if this is still on places available etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE