2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

INTRODUCTION

The Bushcraft UK, Advanced Arctic skills course is a 6 day (fully inclusive) Arctic bushcraft and survival course led by certified UK guides/instructors. The course is a "no frills" low cost opportunity for members of the Bushcraft UK community to experience and practice top of the range instruction, 400km inside the Arctic Circle.

During the course students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties.
Accommodation will be in snow holes and/or lean-to's.

NOTE: This course is not for those expecting a comfortable holiday! Moreover, it will be conducted in a wilderness location with no man made structures to return to in the case of inclement weather. There is no requirement for participants to do the standard Arctic course that runs before this course but they do need to have experience of wilderness living/camping and be able to cook/fend for themselves.

COURSE DETAILS:

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.

Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions.
Minimum numbers: 8
Maximum numbers 12
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)

Date of Expedition: 11th – 16th March 2012 (Inc)

Expedition go/no go date: 15th January 2012

Duration: 6-day itinerary. Arriving/starting day one/departing day six.

Timings and pick-up/drop off:

RV time 11:30hr on the 11th March in Bardufoss airport arrivals hall.

Drop off for travel home 08:00hr on the 16th at BDU airport.

Accommodation and catering:

Accommodation: Snow holes and lean-too's

Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Students can either bring rations from the UK or purchase locally. Transport will be provided on day one at a cost of £2.00 per person/per trip to the local supermarket to purchase rations. Cooking: Meth's burning (or similar) stoves – Students to provide, (Meths and unleaded can be purchased locally) and/or open fires.
Nb. Every student must bring a cooker.

Expedition Cost and payment details:

Expedition Cost: £440.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)

A Non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking – THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL IF THE EXPEDITION DOES NOT GO AHEAD

Final payments: payable immediately from the 15th January if expedition takes place and by no later than 15th February (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 15th February will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)

All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:

To pay by credit/debit card:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

To pay by Paypal:

Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.

inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)

To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.

All payments are by secure means.

On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email,unless otherwise requested differently

IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT

This course is an opportunity to put into practice true wilderness living skills and skills learnt from the previous week (If attended) and to learn advanced techniques for living in extreme cold away from conventional accommodations etc.

Subjects covered and practised:

1. Routine and living in the Arctic Wilderness environment.
2. Dressing for the cold environment.
3. Advanced Cold injuries recognition, and medical procedures in the cold environment. (Including situation scenarios)
4. Avalanche threats and other wilderness dangers
5. Tree felling in Cold environments
6. Natural Shelters. Quincy, Arctic lean to, emergency shelters snow holes and igloos - (conditions permitting) These will be your home!
7. Advanced fire lighting and Extended fire husbandry in the extreme cold.
8. Campcraft and camp construction.
9. Arctic Tracking and wild life observation.
10. Ice Fishing.
11. Ice crossing procedures.
12. advanced traps and trapping lanes in the Arctic.
13. Navigation.
14. Signalling and rescue.
15. Water procurement, carriage and preparation for consumption in the Arctic.
16. Field cookery in the extreme cold.

Included in the price:

1. Full instruction in Advanced Arctic Bushcraft and Survival from UK/English speaking Guides.
2. All internal transfers from/to the meeting point.
3. Site fees (private land and National park)
5. Fully trained on site expedition medical cover.
6. Bushcraft UK Advanced Arctic Course certificate.
7. Sauna/wash facility at end of course.

Not included in the cost:

1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire.
4. Personal travel/cancellation insurance

Optional/additional activities and equipment hire available on site:

1. Extreme cold clothing hire.
2. Extreme cold footwear hire.
3. Extreme cold sleeping bag + liner hire.

(all above subject to availability on a first come basis)

Last edited:

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Damn, I'm so bl***y annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!:aargh4:

This is right in the middle of the school term :tapedshut:cussing::banghead:. Not a chance that i'll get the time off to attend this.

I suppose that I could pull a sicky :AR15firin:AR15firin:AR15firin

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm in the process of negotiating the rescheduling of a three day booking that sits in the middle of this.

If we can agree a new date I'll be there, if not......
mad0228.gif

PS. Is the required equipment list the same as for the basic course?

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Absolute bargain, and a proper adventure - but I'm getting married this summer and the Mrs to be insists on something a little more Mediterranean for the honeymoon!

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Cat, it's right in the middle of school term, and there's no way the head will let me have the time off, even if I offerred to NOT get payed for the duration.

The only way that I can see, is to go to the doctor and say that i'm getting stressed...that way I may get a few weeks signed off. If I get caught...i'll be in the firing line...actually I will get fired.

The only option for me is to resign......

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
Cat, it's right in the middle of school term, and there's no way the head will let me have the time off, even if I offerred to NOT get payed for the duration.

The only way that I can see, is to go to the doctor and say that i'm getting stressed...that way I may get a few weeks signed off. If I get caught...i'll be in the firing line...actually I will get fired.

It's over twelve months away, if you notify the head of the school that you are not available for work for the specified dates now they will have plenty of time to make alternative arrangements for the week. They are your employer, not your master after all!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The timing is bad for me too really. I want to do both courses together but it means I am losing two weeks of earnings during term time that I cannot recover, I had hoped it would only be one.

It has effectively added 50% to what this trip is going to cost me and I have to make sure I do not lose an important and regular customer as a result too. If I cannot talk them into moving next years booking then there is just no chance for me to go.

I wish it had fallen across the school holidays too and I can see Wolf Man's problem, If you are a teacher you really are not able to just take a holiday during term time, it's a fast way to start looking for another job.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor

Wolfy, that would be a great shame mate, it would be a real blast to take what we did last time around and 'notch it up one' !
We need to get at least 8 for this trip, so it should be do-able, just wish you could make it too pal !
I am going to aim for this if I can, if the last trip was the experience of a lifetime then I am hopeing this one will last several lifetimes!
Take it easy fella.
And to anyone out there thinking of either of these trips, do your self a favourand go for it!! Best valve , brilliant tuition, fantastic landscapes.
Unforgettable.
My best.
Chris.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Cat, i'm really annoyed that I'm missing this. I've been looking forward to an Advanced course, since our last one....you're totally right, it's memories that will last a life time.

I've still got a brilliant picture of you with a bloody tampon up your nose!!!!!!

Wayland: I think that we may need to put some pressure on Woody about changing dates!!!! I really want to do this....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE