1800's cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
hi chaps and chapettes

ive been watching this youtube channel recently and have tried some of this food. i think the 18th century soldier food play list would be of interest to a lot of you folk.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson/playlists

i really liked the apple pudding with a source made from sugar and butter. the only difference i made to his recipe was i added some raisins and cinnamon to the dough. next time im going to try making the steak pudding with some rosemary or any other suitable herbs that ive got around the house.

later dudes

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye I've come across the soldier chap on YouTube before, some good stuff. If you have a Kindle and fancy a free book from Amazon then "A Plain Cookery Book For The Working Classes" (1852) by Charles Else Francatelli may tickle your palate.
I've an interest in old historical cooking, partly because it teaches a lot pf skills for outdoor cooking these days. There's a raft of website too, Ivan Day's Historic Food is nice, would love to do one of his courses bit he's pricey. Could also try www.medievilcookery.com but as I say there's heap out there covering all periods and regions.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE