17 wild camping sites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
I was at Keilder Castle here in Northumberland last weekened and happened to see a small sign stating that wild camping was allowed on selected sites - £3 out of my pocket later and I had details for all 17 in my possession!

The sites are all accesible only by footpath or bridleway (or some by the forest roads if you work for the forestry commission). All they ask is that you phone and book 3 days before (there is no charge) so they can tell you on any logging operations and areas to avoid.

Details from the vistors centre on 01434 250209 (you may have to go in and buy the details of the sites as they have to get some money somehow!!)

Planning a jaunt now....

Vimtoforblood

May 23, 2007
Midlands UK
What exactly is a wild camping site?

I am trying to look for somewhere I could easily camp with a hoochie.
i.e. which has suitale uprights to tie it from.

Do wild sites allow you to make fires?

VFB

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The wild camping sites at Kielder Forest are areas designated for campers who backpack in. No car camping, no open fires. I've used these sites a few times and they're OK, but not much use if you're hammocking as they are all in open areas. They are great for peace and seclusion though, and I've seen deer and red squirrel on occasion. There's a couple of big cats living in there too and I think I got a glimpse of one at dusk once but it might have been a big dog, so I'm not sure.

While they stipulate no open fires, I found they have no objection to a cuttlery drainer type hobo stove and there's certainly no shortage of fuel around. The surrounding forestry areas are also great for practicing shelter building as there are plenty of wind blown connifers on the peripheries of the sections and it's OK to lop branches off the ones that are down.

Eric

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
If i recall correctly there used to be about 5-6 MBA bothy's in the Kielder forrest, if they are still in use is another matter.
its worth the £15 to get the MBA list, lots in scotland of course, and a few in wales.

sc

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If i recall correctly there used to be about 5-6 MBA bothy's in the Kielder forrest, if they are still in use is another matter.
its worth the £15 to get the MBA list, lots in scotland of course, and a few in wales.

sc

I think a few of the bothies in Kielder were demolished. Some druggies were using them for parties and leaving them in a disgraceful shape. Don't know which are still standing though.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE