101 Top Tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Well wouldn’t it be a great resource! – I have learn’t so much on here and there is SOOOO much skill and knowledge out there that I thought if we all put our heads together we could amass a list of THINGS YOU SHOULD DO AND KNOW!

Ok I’ll start (Is only fair!)

1. Always tell someone where you are going and when you plan to be back! (feel a bit like 'Charlie says'!)
  2. Always keep your knifes / axes as sharp as possible – a sharp tool is a safe tool!
  3. Gaffer tape has more uses than you can think of – always carry a ‘strip’ – wrap it round a water bottle or something you will take anyway instead of lugging a roll
  4. A length of para-cord or similar strong line will often come in handy
  5. If it is essential, always carry a spare!!!
  6. If you use AAA or AA battery’s for torches etc, switch to lithium versions – they last longer and are not so affected by the cold
  7. NEVER rely solely on one piece of kit!!! – when you REALLY need it it will break / you will loose it etc
  8. Always carry a first aid kit! – After all we pride ourselves in how sharp our knives are……….. – think about the term ‘surgically sharp’
  9. 35mm film and the new APS film canisters make great small containers for herbs, spices, matches etc - If you use the clear ones you can see what is inside too!;)
  10. Remember the rule of threes! – you can live 3 Minutes without air, 3 hours without adequate shelter in winter, 3 days without water and 3 weeks without food! (approximately of course!)remember this and you have the priority’s you need to address to survive.
ok thats the first 10....... right, over to you guys! - next!! :)

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
OK this isn't a survival tip I'm afraid is something very little, but have found when carving fine detail in wood it helps to sand using an emery board cut to a point (or whatever shape helps best).

Am only a novice and you can probably buy something far more efficient but it works for me! :)

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Good idea!
Here is my offerings

1.Sleep dry and walk wet (clothing wise)
2.Only take items you will need (no frisbees, lawn tennis equipment etc)
3.Always carry water and check the map for likely water sources during your trip.
4.Change your clothing when you FIRST think of it (Too hot or too cold)
5.Take two torches and use only one.
6.Use dried whitener for brews (tastes the same as milk to me)
7.Leave ALL packaging at home (no waste, no fuss)
8.Don't pee where you sleep.
9.Stay out of sight
10.Don't panic!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
1. Always pass your knife, handle first and blade up
2. Make as much of you kit dual purpose as possible then you can carry less
3. Try not to use sharps after dark and never mix them with alcohol ( I did not good don’t do it )
4. Keep your water bottle as full as you can top it up at every opportunity and never refuse anyone a drink.
5. Never take your boots off until you are sure you don’t have any further to walk that day.
6. Keep your water proof, any additional layers and your lunch at the top of your pack.
7. When you’re looking for a campsite in the woods check all the surrounding trees are alive and then look up and check for dead, part broken or hung up fallen branches.
8. Keep your fire lighting equipment and a little tinder in a water proof bag/wrapper about your person Some where then if you loose everything you’ll still be able to light a fire.
9. Know your limits and don’t push too hard it will all end in tears.
10. Don’t Panic think things through stay clam and make clear decisions.

edit

11. try and set camp before dark

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
1.Take a good book, can have many uses not just a way to past time ;)
2.Never pee up stream from your water supply :yuck:
3.Use A dry bag in wet climates or when crossing lots of water :umbrella:
4.Listen to locals (they normally are in the Know) :nono:
5.Study the area before you go, less surprises :yikes:
6. Start the fire before you need it, because you never know what is coming :banghead:
7. Learn how to use your kit before you go :confused:
8. It is never a failure to turn back and go home early. :sadwavey:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
1,NEVER pitch under a big old tree, in particular Beech. They drop the biggest limbs :eek:
2,Allow time to look.
3,Remember which direction you will be going in come the morning. :rolleyes:

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
pack your rucksack with the stuff you need most at the top or most accesible
allways replace everything back into the same pockets (then you know where it is or isn't as the case maybe)
remeber to repair your gear and maintain it as soon as possible!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Strewth that was quick!!! - by my poor math we are almost 1/2 way there!!!

by my counting we are at 50 :You_Rock_

I have not included Papps funny ones (though they did make me laugh:D )

well done guys! - almost there.........

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
When blowing a coal from fire drill in a tinder bundel to flame remember to move it away from you face with and down to your side every time you take in a breath

If carving when sitting always lean forward so that work piece and knife are in clear space and there is no risk of the knife makeing contact with the legs

never leave you sleeping bag in its stuff sack when you get home

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
O.k my tip is to cut a 2ft length of Elder, hollow it out, use to blow into the heart of the fire. :)

The word "elder" comes from the Anglo-Saxon word "æld" meaning fire, probably due to the hollowed out stems being used to blow up the fire. Inside the stem is a thick soft pith which can easily be hollowed out, forming hollow tubes. These used to be used to make whistles and pipes, hence the elder's country name "pipe tree" or "bore tree" and "bour tree" as it is still called in Scotland. Other old names for Elder are Eldrun, Hyldor and Hyllantree in the 14th century. In Low Saxon the name appears to be Ellhorn. :D

Reactions: British Red

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Pick your companions wisely. Went canoeing last summer with someone who had to "meditate" everytime there was a task at hand. Guy was so lazy he'd poop in his sleeping bag and kick it out with his foot. :banghead:

PG

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Always carry a small sewing kit you never know when you might split a seam or tair a hole in something.

Make double sure your meths burner is out before you fill it up !!!!!!!

Know the country code and use it.

Not all rights of way on OS maps exist any more they change if a landowner tells you there's no right of way don't argue find another way round.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE