1 person shelter suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 23, 2018
Australia
Hi folks I am looking for a new 1 or 2 person self supporting inner, decent tub floor with generous mesh for hot weather. Fly color preferably for stealth camping, aka dark, OD, or similar to DD tarp colours would be fine. Don't need ultralight, but lightweight would be nice. Hammocks not an option, need open area use as well. I'm In Australia and posting specifically as wondered if the Brit military might have a tropical use option these days, which might be worth looking at? Price : mid range or cheap but durable also considered( aka fighting out of its class or marked down). Or feel free to list your own items if you think they would suit the purpose. Always good to hear new theory.

mickbr,

They make my tent in olive now, and it may interest you. I have the Big Agnes Coppur Spur UL 1. The new design is called the Copper Spur HV UL1. It's a free-standing, three season, ultralight tent. My only complaint with it is that I wish for a bigger vestibule. It packs down small and weighs only about 2.5 lbs.

Here are pictures of my tent:

Bushcraft UK Trip Report

Here's a link to the manufacturer, in case they sell in Australia. I think you can find better prices at retail websites.

Copper Spur HV UL1

- Woodsorrel

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
French F1/2 cotton pup tent? Review on site. (£22?)

There are also nylon ones, more common and not well thought of. The cotton one is a different matter (Military Mart)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The LaTrobe University Mountaineeering Club used to buy tents and packs from a shop in the city.
Ice axes ands rope were your own business. I was the equipment manager for a couple of years
but so long ago, I can't remember the name of the store. Good tents as I recall.
I still have bits of my rope!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I would definitely recommend a two man shelter, even if it is just for you. I have a number of 1 man set-ups and none have enough space in a prolonged multi day downpour to keep you and your kit dry and comfortable. Definitely go for a 2 man set-up.
Wild Country Helm 2 is my current tent of choice.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Luxe Outdoor SilhexPeak V4a if you are shorter than 185cm, if not a similar but larger Luxe model?

Trekking pole recommended, even if you put it always in the ruck sack.
But you can use inside one or outside two nature sticks too.

I own the outer tent (600g)and use it with Snugpack special Forces bivvy bag. I am 185 cm tall and with bivvy bag the SilHexpeak V4a is large enough and very very roomy.

Have a look at Serenity mesh inner with Gatewood Cape. Very experienced people are very convinced about it.
It exists in green too.
That's very light! Especially if you let the rain suit at home.

Last edited:

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
does the HBakto not do all the right things, i know vexe but just asking, as i am thinking of getting one.?!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
You are going to get half a million suggestions mickbr, all the greatest thing since sliced bread...In fact here comes another one..:biggrin:

Unfashionably cheap, about £150, less if you dig around. Waterproof, well tested, (by me) not too heavy about 3 lbs and as it's 2 man there's room for one and kit. Full size Bergan will fit under the 'vestibule' bit by the door. Top half of inner door is all mesh and there's 2 mesh vents in the outer.

Zephyros 2.

Reactions: Wandering Fred

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE