£200 for a tent. Any suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andrewgale

Apr 14, 2013
Treherbert
I've got around £200 for a new tent. I'm really struggling as there's so much out there. I'm looking for a 2 or 3 man tent, preferably with a porch.
Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Really stuck at the moment, keeping watching or reading reviews and changing my mind.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That's a fairly healthy budget so maybe you could tell us more about its intended use, primarily wild camping or campsites? Is weight a concern?

Andrewgale

Apr 14, 2013
Treherbert
I'm looking to do a bit of wild camping with my little boy and I'm hoping to do a few tours on the motorbike. I suppose weight is not a major issue as my boy is only 5 and won't be walking miles and on the bike a kg won't make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Remember that you've still got to get to the site from where you've parked the bike, so weight can still be an issue! Assuming that a three person tent in for two people plus kit (and my eight year old tends to have a lot of stuff, and spreads it out), then perhaps something like the Vango Pulsar? Nice big porch, etc, and £185 at Cotswolds. Not the lightest, but might work, or possibly the Mirage. The Vaude Trio 3P comes in around the same price as the Mirage, has a porch, and is 800gm lighter. You could go smaller (2 man) and cheaper, or go lighter, perhaps the Vaude 2P. The porch tends to be the the thing that costs, either in price or weight.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Most 2 men tents are really only big enough for one guy and kit.

The Vango Chinook 200 is a true 2 person tent and should be plenty big enough for you and your boy. Not the lightest at 3.7kg. Good solid tent though.

Prices have come down in the last year...they were £270, but can be had for less that £200.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
ebay and gumtree and charity shops - I got a very nice old hardly used Vango Force 10 3-person ridge - canvas, tho heavy, is comfy and weatherproof - twin alloy v-poles & ridge = secure and plenty space - it was £3 & didn't even need re-proofing.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are going to carry on a motorbike, I suggest that packed bulk is really of concern.

Tunnel tents tend to offer a good amount of internal space for the money. A 3 person vango with aluminium poles would be my choice

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I use a Vango Omega 350 when touring on my Africa Twin. Plenty of space for me and the biking gear plus camping and cooking stuff. Very good base camp set up.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Advantage of front opening tents as opposed to the side opening Omega is that a tarp at the front gives you a good covered cooking and sitting area

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE