£££££'s

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just been having a recce on Raymondos site.
Does any one else here think that his courses are far too expensive and out of financial reach for them, I do and think that Ray has priced a lot of his fans, who would like to do a course, out of the market.... pity realy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They are expensive but they are also fully booked year in year out so he must be doing something right.
From what I`ve heard the man himself rarely attends any of the courses now so many folk will be dissapointed aswell having shelled out ££££s. I think he still does the Arctic stuff with Lars from time to time.

I get the email notifications for cancellations and have never taken a space due to the cost though.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I hear Microsoft products are expensive too and Bill Gates never shows up to teach you how to use them either.

The thing is... It's not Ray Mears Limited... it's Woodlore that you are booking the course with. If the only reason some folk book the course is to meet him... well if I were Ray, I'd be avoiding the fanboys too.

As to the bottom line price... they're simply at the luxury end of the market is all. It's also been mentioned that their kit is reasonably priced but it should also be noted that their service is really first rate.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`d say "Ray Mears Ltd" is Woodlore Squidders, but you`re right about the creepy stalking fans though.

I`ve got a print out of a price list at home somewhere from 1999, I`ll dig it out later and put the costs up. From what I remember they were quite reasonable at that time, but there were only a couple of bushy schools in existence then anyway, not like today where there`s one in every county just about.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All of the schools are businesses with folks trying to earn a decent living from them.

Years ago when I offered to do a craft workshop for free I got a very blunt response from the lady who organised the courses, "Other people earn their liveliehoods doing what you are prepared to give away; if you do this you are undercutting them, reducing the market value of their work. Find a reasonable rate that the market will bear and charge it."

I don't think much has changed really.
I do think folks get rather too much hung up on a particular school or other. Many of the smaller ones get a sterling reputation and I think are very much worth checking out.

cheers,
Toddy

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Shewie, Im on the cancellations list to,but havent because of the expense. Im also on the cancellations list for Trueways, and their prices go down 60% if you can do them last minute.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie, Im on the cancellations list to,but havent because of the expense. Im also on the cancellations list for Trueways, and their prices go down 60% if you can do them last minute.

Cheers Lindz, I`ll get myself signed up on there then

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
the shop is good value for money.

the courses are expensive, however could the intention be to produce more demand for others? It is clear that RM wants others to experience bushcraft but if he was the cheapest and best value in town that would not only stiffle competition but stop more knoweledge being shared as we all know there is always somethign new to learn.

or i could just be to much of a hippy

If Ray cut his prices he would get more people attending his courses as they were more affordable so he would not loose out, as for avoiding the fans, well he should not have made himself bigger than he is.
I am a Ray fan, probably always will be but as a follower I just find it frustrating that you hve to pay 600 pounds for a week long course.Even a day walk is over the odds.
Sorry but there is no justification for the prices he charges.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
the shop is good value for money.

Thats subjective. Some items are, some are not, its a balance thing.

For example, GB axes are competitively priced but the sharpening systems are over priced. Laplanders are expensive but replacement blades are cheap etc

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
If you're looking for excellent courses go to woodcraft school as they usually have places available and their courses are outstanding. Also John Ryder was appointed head teacher at woodlore when he was there, but he now owns and teaches at woodcraft school!!

I have no connection to woodcraft school just a VERY satisfied student!!!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just been having a recce on Raymondos site.
Does any one else here think that his courses are far too expensive and out of financial reach for them, I do and think that Ray has priced a lot of his fans, who would like to do a course, out of the market.... pity realy.

That may or may not be so hog but this topic has caused a lot of unhappiness and strife in the past. In fact I think it was aired just last month.

There are lots of good instructors in the UK and US so there is no shortage of choice.

Ray does not have a monopoly and the extra premium is simply for those who are more concerned with who teaches them rather than in the actual acquisition of skills.

I am happy if he can charge enough to run a large school with a full calendar and employ many people. If he dominates the top end of the market so what? Many people think they get good value for their money.

I’ve seen complaints about their price but never about the experience.

What you need to ask yourself is why do you want to go to Wood lore particularly when there are others who are cheaper and just as good?

BOD.
Its just that we have had Ray on TV and radio etc he has become for a lot of us the 'man to have' sort of a leader in the field.. its difficult to explain.I would like to attend a Ray Mears course but as has already been said there is a good chance you wont even see him as he tends to go on the expedition courses that are much further afield and also even more expensive.
I know he is running a buisness here but I think that Ray has gotten bigger than the craft. and I dont mean that literaly.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Its about supply and demand, things are only worth what people are prepared to pay for it, if it dosent sell the price comes down. if there is over demand you can afford to make the most of your success and put the prices up, i don't see it as a problem.

id like an aston martin but hey!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I am a Ray fan, probably always will be but as a follower I just find it frustrating that you hve to pay 600 pounds for a week long course.Even a day walk is over the odds.
Sorry but there is no justification for the prices he charges.
Rubbish... that works out at £5/hr, which is v. cheap if you ask me.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its not really fair to only pick on Woodlore though, there is a few others that are just (or at least nearly) as expensive. Personally I do think they are a bit over priced, though the smaller trips are not out of the range of most people. Unfortuntely they are out of my range, but like I pointed out earlier - good bargains to be had elsewhere.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
does anybody think the economic downturn over the next year will affect course prices and attendance levels?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE