viking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
  1. Dreadhead

Dreadheads Norse Belt Pouches :)

Fresh from the workshop are these two pouches, a pair I have been wanting to make for some time now :) Both are made from 1.6-2mm veg tan, hand saddle-stitched with arti sinew, with a mystery braided securing strap with a brass knotwork tip. Approx dimensions are 15cm x 14cm x 5cm. I wear one...
  2. P

A Viking axe

Hello again! I have yet to get bored of axemaking, and i am always finding myself coming back to the subject. Here is another one, the construction method is symmetrically wrapped with a medium-carbon edge bit! It started out as a piece of mild steel, with the dimensions 12x35x190mm, and a...
  3. Dreadhead

Custom Viking Sword Scabbard

Hey all, Just finished another custom sword scabbard for a chap in France. Luck would have it we both have exactly the same sword, so it was nice and simple to build having my own blade here. Also gave me a chance to take mine down off the wall, re-wrap the handle with some nicer waxy leather...
  4. Dreadhead

Lots of leather Pouches, Bags, Belts, Arm Guards, Axe Loops

I have some stock left over from doing a couple of markets this summer, so they are all up for online sale now until I next book any markets. Albeit most of it is viking styled, but most can be worn in normal circumstances and you wouldnt know it was 'viking'. They are also up for sale on Etsy...
  5. Dreadhead

My latest leather Satchel & Quiver

Hi folks, I haven't been posting up lately as have had a busy month! Since leaving my job a month ago, I have been taking on more and more orders and am back to doing my leatherwork full-time. I've mostly been working on larger orders, so haven't had anything to show off for weeks, until now...
  6. Dreadhead

Leather Dog Harness and other things

Our wee Maggie asked for a new harness for yule, so I decided to make her a new one as an early present. It is thick vegetable tanned cowhide with soft sealskin straps, all fitted with sturdy copper rivets and hand-stitched with sinew, and wet-formed pockets so she can carry her own jobby...
  7. Dreadhead

Viking Shoulder Bags (re-priced)

I just finished my first set of three viking shoulder bags :) CIMG6057 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr CIMG6093 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr These bags are based on the historical hedeby/haithabu bag finds from the viking period. I have seen one or two examples online and saw some historical...
  8. Dreadhead

Viking Shoulder Bags (pic heavy)

I just finished my first set of three viking shoulder bags :) CIMG6057 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr CIMG6093 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr These bags are based on the historical hedeby/haithabu bag finds from the viking period. I have seen one or two examples online and saw some historical...
  9. Dreadhead

Viking Turnshoes - Reindeer/Sealskin

My hooves needed new clothes, so I made myself a new pair of turnshoes this week. My current pair are getting a little tatty now, having worn them all around Norway and everyday since, and the pattern just wasn't quite right so they fit a little oddly. I will continue to wear them until they...
  10. Dreadhead

New! Norse Belt Pouches

After the feedback from my last viking Birka pouch I decided to knock up a couple more as possibles pouches :) CIMG5759 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr Both of these pouches are a decent size for tobacco tins etc. both are 5.5 inches wide, 6.5 inches long, and 2 inches thick Brownie...
  11. Dreadhead

Norse 'Birka' Belt Pouch

Hey folks, here is one of my latest pouches based on the Birka archaeological finds Made with Seal hide, with an elk hide gusset, and reindeer hide trim, all stuff I took back from Norway. Hand saddle-stitched with artificial sinew and a few copper rivets bashed in CIMG5611 by HamishOdinson...
  12. Dreadhead

Reindeer & Rabbit Viking Hat

I have had a few messages off members asking where the hell I am hiding, so thought I would stick my head in the door with a very small update ;) Me and swmbo are still traveling in Norway, so i have not had much time for bcuk with farm work keeping us busy. I was feeling very out of touch...
  13. Dreadhead

Hand-forged Viking Seax

I have finally finished my seax! This is the first blade i have ever forged which means the steel is overworked, a bit wonky here and there, and the edge is brittle. but it is mine! :) The handle is some silver birch i turned, then rubbed whatever i could find into it to make it age a bit...
  14. Dreadhead

Viking Turnshoes & Yew Awl

Some more projects to show off today :) Just finished making my latest pair of viking turnshoes from merino sheepskin uppers with 3.5mm cowside for the sole. Antiqued, edge bound with kidskin, rolled toggles, and hand stitched with artificial sinew. unfortunatly as you can see in the photos...
  15. Dreadhead

3 Viking Sword Scabbards

I love anything to do with norse culture, or swords. Sword scabbards have to be one of the most fun things to make for me. A few weeks ago a member here asked me to make him another two to go with the one i made for him a few months ago. so whilst working on those, i decided to clothe my own...
  16. Dreadhead

Special belt pouch

Another wee gift for myself. I fancied a new pouch for my travels and have made a couple new ones but have decided upon this one It's made from veg tan sheepskin, very strange leather to work with! i lined the whole pouch with kid, and all the edges are bound with the same kid. mystery braid...
  17. Dreadhead

Scandi knife w/ viking sheath

Hey folks, just finished this today to show off. Off to norway soon and wanted a new knife to use for work but also disposable so i won't be too bothered if it is lost or confiscated at any airports for any reason so decided to make one. This is my second knife handled kankaanpaa carbon blade...
  18. Dreadhead

Viking Shield Possibles Pouches (2 left) PRICE DROP

I have made a batch of three pouches, dubbed my 'viking shield' pouches. I have never seen anything like these before, they are my own twist on a pouch and a wee experiment just to see if it works well or not Each pouch is made up of a normal soft drawstring pouch, with a hard flap in the...
  19. Night Phoenix

South West Scotland. Viking boat building

I am involved in a local non-profit community based viking boat project. We have been busy building a viking boat using traditional and authentic methods along with modern ones. This is a small project with a big scope for events and could be making many appearances at viking shows. If anyone...
  20. Night Phoenix

Where might I find?

I am involved in a viking boat building project and we are now on the hunt for a second hand trailer to tow it around to shows and launchings and such. Its a non profit project hence second hand but so far have struggled to find anything. Any suggestions of where to look other than ebay and...