cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
  1. Bencraft87

Dutch Oven tips and tricks

Good day to you all, I'm throwing this thread out there in search of top tips regarding the use of a Dutch oven. I own a petromax FT-3 and love it! I tend to roast pork joints in it and it has certainly proven its metal (pun intended) throughout the years I've had it. But I always strive to...
  2. CraftyWild

Sterilising water in cooking rehydrated food?

I'm wondering about putting my dehydrated food into water collected in the wild (and filtered) while its all still cold, then heating it to a boil together and simmering. I figure this will reduce the simmering time of some of the cheaper supermarket packets of pasta or rice that indicate a...
  3. Island Drifter

New Video Remote Alaska Camp Out :)

Last minute camp out this week, was not super prepared but was only an overnight. Weather was mixed sun and rain turning to a lite rain in the evening and night. Woke up to a lite breeze and clouds. Around 11:30 at night it sounded like some one was throwing boulders in the lake.. Very...
  4. ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Bake bread in stone oven

Hi guys, I just made a new oven for my camp, in front of my shelter. I made it very similar to the one I made before and I used pizza, but this time I put a stone to cover the entrance in this way I could keep the heat inside much more and it worked much better, the bread was great and with a...
  5. ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Underground oven

Hi guys!!:) I want to share with u my latest project, I wanted to try to make a primitive kind of Oven to be able to cook pizza, bread, etc... So I started to dig a hole in the ground and then I made the structure using stone, I built three walls then I put in the middle a big flat stone for...
  6. ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Watermill for roast chicken

Hi! I want to share with you some pictures of my last trip to the river, (just to be clear it was not a survival situation or anything like that, I made it just to have fun and do something different) I roasted a chicken using a watermill, that I built using mostly hazelnut wood, for the...
  7. ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Best ways to cook on the fire

Hi guys!! :) what is ur favorite way to cook on the fire? I really love to cook on the sticks, but also in the pan. Share ur photos and videos with me this is how I cooked last time at my camp!
  8. GreenNomad

Aloc Alcohol Stove

Just ordered the Aloc Alcohol Stove. Looks good, dirt cheap at £10. Great reviews. Anyone else use these ??
  9. GreenNomad

Decathlon - cook set

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/1-person-aluminium-cookset-id_8308740.html Really good price, might have to pick one up. I was thinking of getting an american military surplus but edging more towards the Decathlon.
  10. N

Tatonka Billy Can Lids.

Hey guys, I've just received my first Tatonka 1.6L Billy can and from first impressions it looks and feels great, I cant wait to get the smaller one so I can start using it for breads etc. I really like the locking handle design and may try to replicate something on my zebra can if I can...
  11. L

Wanted: 50L or bigger stainless cooking pot

Hi guys n gals... looking to get a LARGE cooking pot for making a brew in. it needs to be stainless steel... I have loads of camping, bushcraft, hunting, kayaking and walking gear for swaps if anyone can help me out / point me in the right direction for a cheap one. that would be awesome...
  12. L

Large but packable wood gas stove

Just a little project to pick your experienced brains with (if you would all be so kind) I am planning a week on Dartmoor with a few friends & I (in the spirit of wanting to be difficult) I am wanting to take a Dutch oven, I have a Trangia but I want to be able to cook for everyone & the...
  13. rancid badger

"BANG!" Well, more like "pop" but you get the idea.

Cooking up another batch of charcloth this afternoon, this time from some old bath towel. 100% cotton, if a bit grubby and lightly oil stained from doing time in the garage/workshop but was a good way cooked when this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBGKw8JQLMQ&list=UURdd...
  14. wilderlore

Making a Finnish Fire Log and splitting a large log with a knife

Hey guys, I've just made a new video demonstrating how to make a Finnish Fire Log when all you have is a knife to split the log. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8j21aWlqg Let me know what you think :) Ste
  15. coastal survival

Foraging for mushrooms and cooking course - 1 day - 26th October - Near Chepstow.

Foraging for mushrooms and cooking course - 1 day - 26th October - Near Chepstow. Looking good for mushrooms this year, we are running a day course foraging for mushrooms and cooking what we find, a wild woodland risotto is on the cards, with a selection of wild foraged herb teas and what ever...
  16. Samon

Home cooking, affordable and delicious!

I would like this thread to be dedicated to cheap, healthy and tasty meal recipes for those of us on limited incomes! As we all know a healthy diet is a key part to a long and happy life, and also a great learning experience for our youngsters so the more recipes, tips and tricks out there for...
  17. R

Found videos: 18th Century cooking series

Dunno if this is a repost or not. Found this channel on the weekend while looking for bread recipes: http://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson The author runs some sort of re-enactment gear shop but interspersed in his dozens of videos are a great 4 part series on 18th century bread...
  18. Scout Leader

Cooking without a pot

Hi, Does anyone have any good but simple receipts and methods of cooking without pots (incl foil). I guess you have your meat on a stick or hot stone, egg (with hole), Fish in wet newspaper. Anymore simple ones?
  19. O

1 week Out in Sweden

Hi, This summer me and my brother are planning to stay in hammocks out in the forests in Sweden about half a mile from a house so if anything goes wrong it will be fine. Anyway the question i wanted to ask was what kinds of food can a 15year old cook not too complicated. I want to eat properly...
  20. bushcraftmyway

bushcraft cooking... my way!

my first vid posted on youtube was about fire making and outdoor cooking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47y9rOD50qc since than i posted (among other things) other outdoor food/cooking-related vids: - a nice trick to prevent food from sticking to the pot...