billtong question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I make jerky (is that the same as billtong?) from the thin sliced "sandwich steaks" at my local butchers. That way all you have to do is trim off any fat, and it's ready to go.

Cheers

Mat

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We have made jerky/billtong with various cuts of meat but the one we will be using from now on due to the great results we have had is ox heart almost zero fat and it tastes great give it ago as a whole heart costs less than a fiver and you get a lot of meat for your money

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
hi all heartbisnt meat though its offal big difference regards dave

Its hardly vegetable is it, Its all meat even offal is meat if you have,nt tried it don't knock it till you try it, I took some along to the super sausage meet and almost everyone thought it tasted superb great texture and taste

Last edited:

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Must say I've never heard of it done with offal - I'm going to give that ox heart a try! - do you do anything different in the preparation?

My usual cuts are either topside or silverside as they are relatively lean and not too expensive. It would work just as well with fillet steak but at that price it's just not worth it!

I posted a biltong photo tutorial thread a few years back where I had people say that you can leave the fat on without problem. I've tried - and they were right! For my personal tastes I still don't like too much of it, but I'm less thorough in my fat trimming than I used to be :)

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I make jerky (is that the same as billtong?) ...
I was under the impression that Jerky was dried/smoked with salt or flavour where'as Biltong the meat is cooked chemically by acids in the ingredients put onto it, I might be wrong. Biltong is more of a South African thing I think. I've had Kudu and Zebra in biltong form, bit too hard for me but some nice flavours. I do like Jerky :)

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Must say I've never heard of it done with offal - I'm going to give that ox heart a try! - do you do anything different in the preparation?

You have to remove the thick catilige from the centre then slice it in the same way you would with other cuts marinade leave in fridge overnight or vav pac for a few hours to get the flavour into the meat I was advised to put the meat in at a high tempeture for a couple of minutes then keep on a very low heat untill completely dry

I posted a biltong photo tutorial thread a few years back where I had people say that you can leave the fat on without problem. I've tried - and they were right! For my personal tastes I still don't like too much of it, but I'm less thorough in my fat trimming than I used to be :)

Would lambs heart work?

Never tried it but Im sure it would work just as well I'll get one and give it ago in the meantime if you get one first let us know how it goes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE