Gerber Pocket Sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
I'm not sure if i made a mistake purchasing this? I saw it for only £3 and thought 'what the hell, why not...', chucked it in with my amazon CD order.

Just can't seem to get it to make any impact on my whitby lock knife. Anyone have one of these, used it successfully or know how i should be using it? It has two sides, one marked CORSE, one marked FINE:

gerber_pocket-sharpener%5B1%5D.jpg

I couldn't find a mention on this site of this before, maybe worth discussing/reviewing!

furryface

Jul 8, 2011
cornwalll
This might seem a bit weird, but i found it sharpens the blade better when used in the left hand. works fine on my Mora and Opinel.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I was given one last Christmas.....It seems to have favourites like the Parang and SAK in my tool box can get V sharp but others like my main bushy knife do not like it.

I really think it depends on the edge geometry. if the angle of your bevels are too obtuse then the edge never actually touches the rods, and trying to use it one rod at a time is defeating the point of a sharpener like this.

Also I don't like the way it messes up the very end of the blade (next the the bolster)....it does not make any difference how it is orientated, the rod closest to your bolster is on the right hand side as you hold it.....so this part of your blade is only sharpened on one side....and worse still is pushed over to the left rolling the very edge.

Like i said I think it is great for my particular parang when the edge just needs a quick re-alignment. but the rods are too fine to do much else, and the set up of the rods means i won't put a more expensive or show type blade through it due to the rod alignment.

lastly the apeture will not accept a blade much thicker than 4.5mm.....although that is pretty thick it does mean you would be hard pushed to use it on the edge of a hatchet like the husky without modyfing the sharpener.

Hope this helps.

Mojo

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
yep, i think i agree mojo, the blade is too obtuse i think. maybe ill look at some small stone system, ive seen some of the small portable ones are popular.

thanks for the input!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE