8 Items - 3 Days - Dartmoor Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
As you probably gather , i have lived on Dartmoor all of my life , and love and appreciate it for the wonderful space it is , you will also see that i have absolutely no respect for the table full of no norts that ultimately make and uphold the rules , because most of them are clueless ( in my opinion )
For instance if you are called before the committee for a reason you are allowed 2 minutes to talk and they have as long as they want , unless of course its close to sandwich time !!
Also i have proof that my particular case had been decided on the Wednesday before the Friday hearing !!
Perhaps not all that relevant to this thread , but my point being is , come and enjoy Dartmoor . treat it with the respect it deserves. and if a ranger questions your leave no trace fire , ( not likely if its more than 100metres from the road as they would get lost ! ) send them my way !!

always remember the 28 day rule ....

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
On the hunt mate. Supposedly they're all chasing a scented

a scented? like an artifical prey?

I was under the impression 'hunting' with hounds was illegal but they have found ways to dodge the courts and still do what they want.

clearly you guys show alot of respect to the land you use so I'd say don't worry too much about what 'they' might say about it.

resnikov

a scented? like an artifical prey?

I was under the impression 'hunting' with hounds was illegal but they have found ways to dodge the courts and still do what they want.

clearly you guys show alot of respect to the land you use so I'd say don't worry too much about what 'they' might say about it.

I might be wrong but i think they drag a some scented (no idea what with) rags around the area of the hunt thus giving the hounds a trail to follow. Any one who does no more please correct me.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah that's ok then!

It's just My father owns a pub and used to offer free port to the 'fox hunters' as a tradition before the hunt, something I had evry strong words against! but he told me they still do it even with the new laws, but make excuses like 'the dogs got loose, I couldn't stop them etc etc'

Also.. I hope I haven't started a debate on the topic, that's not been my intention! hate to see this thread getting hijacked..

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I do believe its hessian soaked in aniseed, purely to keep an old tradition alive !! but i could be totally wrong , i am sure someone will put us all right ...

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
great video guys! lo0oks like you all had a great time!

re. fox hunting, i saw an episode of river cottage where he was paid to be chased by the dogs? basically they were allowed to sniff him for a good few minutes, then he had a head start over the fields then they gave chase.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
My items were:

1. Rucksack
2. Parang
3. Tinder pouch (firesteel and crampballs)
4. Hammock
5. Rollmat
6. Billycan
7. Headtorch
8. Stove (didn't use)

Regards,

Matt.

Quarryman

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2009
Kernow
No, our items were for our own use only, no sharing, so hypothetically we could of managed on the moor on our own.

It was a great trip but also the lead up to it was fun with the constant changing of peoples lists and the banter that accompanied choices of kit etc.

All the best,

Matt.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
My eight items were:

1. Rucksack
2. Tent
3. Rollmat
4. Toilet Paper
5. Head Torch
6. Fire Steel
7. Stove
8. Titanium Billy 1100ml

As I eat a largely vegan diet, I considered not taking a stove, billy or fire steel but at the last minute decided to include the ingredients for a vegetable soup/stew as well as some herbal tea bags. This then prompted me to stick a spork into my kit. Apparently, a spork counts as kit as does my toothbrush!!! So, my eight item challenge seems to have turned into a 8+ item challenge but I was very happy with the kit I took. Sadly, I had a lot of food which, being fresh, weighed a lot and I really think that my pack weighed more than last year.

Looking forward to doing this again, maybe with fewer items, or maybe something else. That will be decided nearer the time.

Martin

S

Shotgun

Interesting choices in gear. I like the idea of this type of challenge/event a lot. Neat.

Fires are illegal there? Does that argument work on police officers in the UK? "Yes sir, I know I broke the law but I did it responsibly so it's okay.":D

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Fires are illegal there? Does that argument work on police officers in the UK? "Yes sir, I know I broke the law but I did it responsibly so it's okay."

WARNING!! You have now wandered 20 yards into a minefield - I hope you know how to backtrack. Oh, and you are also treading on somebody's painful corns and they're likely to get mad.

I know you were only teasing but this is a very delicate subject here. Some jokes just don't work.

Nuf sed.

Changing the subject slightly:

It's nice to know that our Colonial cousins are following the proceeding of this venerated forum from the Motherland. And to know we're speading our civilizing influence to developing countries. :)

Any chance of coming over and 'baggin' a few racoons or beavers for the pot? :beerchug:

ATB

Paul

S

Shotgun

WARNING!! You have now wandered 20 yards into a minefield - I hope you know how to backtrack. Oh, and you are also treading on somebody's painful corns and they're likely to get mad.

I know you were only teasing but this is a very delicate subject here. Some jokes just don't work.

Nuf sed.

Changing the subject slightly:

It's nice to know that our Colonial cousins are following the proceeding of this venerated forum from the Motherland. And to know we're speading our civilizing influence to developing countries. :)

Any chance of coming over and 'baggin' a few racoons or beavers for the pot? :beerchug:

ATB

Paul
You're right I don't know so edumacate me. And you're crazy to eat coons. They taste like crap and have diseases. Beaver is fine eating though. Wahahaha!!!;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE