First time using Parachute / Shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Bought a Canopy Type I 32 /Mk2 recently and this is the first time i've had chance to setup mess around with it.

I dont have any hanging limbs from trees in the garden so i decide to rig a line and see how i get on. First thing i realised is high the chute needs to be hung .... Re adjusted the line and sent about pegging it down.. Stuggled a little in the wind but got there in the end...

23042011069.jpg

I tried to keep an opening/entrance for one side hence the loose sections...

23042011070.jpg

But on attempt two i kept everything taught and just "double backed" the sections to allow an opening.

Found that the higher the apex the further the bottom needs to go. Sounds simple relay :rolleyes:

23042011072.jpg

View from inside... Was contemplating staying in it with my eldest, but i wanted to get everything packed up for next weekend :) and im pre-occupied tomorrow :(

23042011073.jpg

Anyways.. Any thoughts / feedback or suggestions on how to improve are all welcome :)

thanks Mark

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Hi
Probbaly a very stupid question but if parachutes aren't waterproof what use are they for shelter?

We use them [small] for games with Cubs and I've often thought of getting a larger one for a shelter but if their not rain proof whats the point.

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
It's a sensible question Roger. Even unproofed they keep most of the rain off. Sometimes you just get a mild mist inside, so as a large shelter from rain they are a cheap option.Their other properties are that they are windproof and that they trap heat inside , depending on how you rig them. If you light a fire inside, make sure you have an entrance to allow air in so that the smoke goes through the hole at the apex

Are they effective....here's a rig with a reflector fire bouncing heat in through the door at minus 18C. A great nights sleep.

Minus18C.gif

Last edited:

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Thanks for comments guys, Im taking some nikwax spray on w'proofer to aid water repelant.

Rik did you use clip ons for that setup? I'm interested in getting some but worried about the clips wearing through the fabric

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Does anyone know where I can purchase a chute similar size to the one Rik is using?
I did purchase one recently but it was a cargo chute and way too big.

Thanks

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for comments guys, Im taking some nikwax spray on w'proofer to aid water repelant.

Rik did you use clip ons for that setup? I'm interested in getting some but worried about the clips wearing through the fabric

Yep, about ten clips. They don't seem to harm the fabric and clip them onto the thicker seam joins.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE