The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hey Roe Ring, Super images Bro.
As Geoff Dann said very common round here @ NE Scotland.
Angel’s Wings, Pleurocybella porrigens

Found this one on a resent walk round Keith Moray growing on a pine tree stump.
After reading a report on Recent Poisonings from Edible Mushrooms! Japan 2004,I would not encourage any one to eat this mushroom due to posable Renal Failure and further complications brain lesions not very nice.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Found a fungi on the Great Glen Way the other day.
Violet webcap Cortinarius violaceus
I’ve been picking mushrooms for over 10 years now and I've only ever seen one of these,me and my pal were just blown away by this one, I will post an image some time but what a stunner of a mushroom just an amazing colour,to pretty to even pick.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Found a fungi on the Great Glen Way the other day.
Violet webcap Cortinarius violaceus
I’ve been picking mushrooms for over 10 years now and I've only ever seen one of these,me and my pal were just blown away by this one, I will post an image some time but what a stunner of a mushroom just an amazing colour,to pretty to even pick.

I've seen a few this year. Yes, beautiful. You can also eat it, although it tastes a bit weird.

Look out for Cortinarius sanguineus if you've never seen that one. It's as deep and vibrant a red as violaceus is purple, and just as beautiful. Smaller, though. Pictures of both species do not do justice to the real thing.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Oh, those angel wings scare me a bit. Hopefully they don't look as much like oysters in the flesh...
What do they smell like - if it's possible to describe

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
What do they smell like - if it's possible to describe

http://www.kitsapmushrooms.org/motm_1012.php

Description: Cap 2-10cm, white, margin becoming wavy and lobed with age; Gills white, decurrent; Stem lateral, stubby to non-existent; Flesh white; Smell & Taste mild; Spore print white.
Habitat: Coniferous logs & stumps, mid-fall.
Primary keys: White cap, gills, flesh & spores; growing in ranks laterally from rotting conifer logs.
Edibility: Good with a delicate flavor, but older specimens can be wet and wormy.

Notes: Harvest Angel Wings when still fresh and young. Cut them carefully free from their log and put in a bag immediately to keep them clean. Note that there were some fatal poisonings from this species in Japan in 2004. However, most of the victims were elderly, all had previously damaged kidneys and ate a large quantity. There have been no poisoning reports in North America.

Recipe: Mushroom Miso Soup

1 carrot, julienned
1 leaf Napa cabbage, sliced thin
1/2 lb. Angel Wings, sliced
4 C. dashi soup stock
6 oz. soft tofu, cubed 1/2" 1 sheet nori, toasted and crumbled
1 T. soy sauce
3 T. white miso
1 green onion, minced

:D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Is this a Beefsteak?
Nice colour whatever it is.

17102011725.jpg

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Thanks for the ID gents, i'll hold off eating it though! I'm enjoying mushroom foraging you never know what is going to crop up next.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive got some railway sleepers in my garden (not sure of the wood) and keep getting a fungus growing in places on them, I kept cutting it off but am now curious as to what it is. So I wondered if anyone on here could give me the answer. Its quite tough to cut and feels like a cross between rubber and chicken (but not like a rubber chicken!).

pl 023.jpg

Cant attach any more pics for some reason, I did take some cross sections of one I removed so if anyone wants to have a look PM me and I'll see if I can send them on.

Can anyone recommend me a good book for spotting tinder fungi (ie horses hoof, birch polypore, cramp balls etc) as the only books Ive seen so far are geared more towards mushrooms, toadstools and edibles.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Ive got some railway sleepers in my garden (not sure of the wood) and keep getting a fungus growing in places on them, I kept cutting it off but am now curious as to what it is. So I wondered if anyone on here could give me the answer. Its quite tough to cut and feels like a cross between rubber and chicken (but not like a rubber chicken!).

View attachment 7790

Cant attach any more pics for some reason, I did take some cross sections of one I removed so if anyone wants to have a look PM me and I'll see if I can send them on.

Can anyone recommend me a good book for spotting tinder fungi (ie horses hoof, birch polypore, cramp balls etc) as the only books Ive seen so far are geared more towards mushrooms, toadstools and edibles.

Looks like Heterobasidion annosum ("root rot"), but I'm no expert on these. You can't eat it.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Cheers Geoff dann!

And yes after some heavy rain things are looking up here too. I hope it continues, as I really want to find some penny buns. Last year I could only find bay boletes!

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
s'étonner;984600 said:
Cheers Geoff dann!

And yes after some heavy rain things are looking up here too. I hope it continues, as I really want to find some penny buns. Last year I could only find bay boletes!

It's a bit late for PBs. Blewitts and trumpet chanterelles are what I'm after now...

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Looks like Heterobasidion annosum ("root rot"), but I'm no expert on these. You can't eat it.

Not sure, it doesnt look like any pictures Ive found. Have got a couple more pictures in the hope someone can figure it out (it looks a bit like a loaf of bread). Sorry for the picture quality they were taken on my phone.

2011-10-25 08.14.40.jpgpl 023.jpg

And here are some cross sections of a bit I removed.

pl 024.jpg

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer. Just wondered if it may have any uses other than eating, (ie fire lighting) as it keeps growing back after I get rid of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE