my baskets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like to make things…
One thing I find fun to do –even if I am not that good (yet) is to make “hedgerow” baskets.
These are baskets woven from wild growing materials and in the first photo are some I have done already.
Left to right they are – willow on willow, bramble runners on bramble runner and bramble on willow framing.
Then there are various shots – my willow soaking in my canoe (the only watertight container I have that is big enough!), willow hoops drying into shape for “mellon” baskets and the harvesting of brambles for making more baskets.
I sometimes use natural (home made willow-bark or nettle) cordage to start a weave as I want extra bendability there….
AllwillowAllbrambleandbrambleonwillow.jpg

Soakingthewillow.jpg

Willowhoopsdrying.jpg

Theidealbramble.jpg

bramblesforbasketry.jpg

holdingthecanvas.jpg

strippingthethorns.jpg

MyWillowtrees.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They are brilliant. I've just completed my first basket making course and I really enjoyed it..those ones of yours look much more authentic and I much prefer those over mine..

100_4383.jpg

Would love to see you do a tutorial on those you've made.
That is much neater than any of mine!
I will be working on a new basket soon - I have been harvesting brambles for weavers today and they do not take long to prep...the willow is already soaking :)
I am no expert - but I enjoy it :) so I will post my progress :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work John :D

What do you do to the brambles to make them into usable material? Do they need dried, soaked, processed, de-thorned?

Cheers
Ness :)
All I have done in the past is dethorn them, leave them to dry for a couple of days then damp them off overnight before using them.:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was using 2 of the baskets at the Moot - to organise my basecamp gear...
The one on the left is made from willow from my garden - a tree I planted myself :)
Very satisfying that is :)
The Melon baskets are based on one in Mors' book the middle one is based on a builders bucket - but is bigger!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The Melon baskets are based on one in Mors' book the middle one is based on a builders bucket - but is bigger!

I'll have to dig my copy out ~ and then extract my revenge on the various brambles patches which have acted a chigger jump off points during the harvest months
t2508.gif

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To dethorn brambles just wear stong gloves and use a bit of canvas... pull the bramble through the canvas and the thorns are ripped off as they bite into the canvas.
I just did about 20 x 6' to 12' lengths with not blood spilled......
Scouts? - easy job! (if they are as tough as my Scouts were..... I was a Leader for 15 years and none of the Scouts died....)

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Nice baskets John
another way to remove thorns is to use a small ring spanner
Use one slightly larger diameter than the brambles, pull them through it a couple of times and the thorns come off

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE