Dajo Survivor-small test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
the Dajo Survivor is a cheap knife (few euros to buy, it's done in China) small and light, As per the name, he want to be a “survival knife”.

Here the link https://www.dajoadventuregear.com/products-page/knives/survivor/

The Dajo Survivor

The sheath is good both for vertical and horizontal carry

The sheath is obviously cheap, but not bad at all.

The Dajo is essentially a skeletonized knife, with 2 thin handles in G-10 riveted. The blade is 9,5 cm long and 3mm thick, the steel is 7Cr17MoWV, inox, tempered at 57 HRC

First test, cutting a 2cm diameter woods (acacia)

The weight of the Dajo it's minimal, so not good also for light chopping, anyway the cutting it's possible without problem.

The Dajo seems to be done to obtain a spear, let's go

The "spear" is quite tough, no damages

Let's carving, always, no problem

Using the firesteel, the small notch on the blade's spine it's for it, good results, sparks were done in good quantity

As a old and tired BG let's to prepare a Spring Snare Trap whit the Dajo: 6 pieces of woods and 2 metres of paracord

Done

A short footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfOsPefYwNU

The Dajo at the end of this small test

I'm impressed. The Dajo seems to be good as a light, compact survival knife. My test lacks for anything in terms of "survival": no batoning, no skinning i.e. Anyway, I had good feelings using this knife, I was in doubt about the handle, so squared, but it's not bad at all, so the blade. In my opinion, a good knife.

It's late evening...bye, ciao Alfredo

Last edited:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How do you feel the weight is justified? More to the point, should it be heavier to be more robust? (I worry about the hole in the blade itself but don't know how strong it would be)

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Thank you, guys.

@Stew: AdventureGear wrote about this knife "The Survivor was designed to be a fairly compact minimalist survival knife" and to me seems had meet the point. I did'nt feel the knife as weak, is enough robust for what he need to do, in my opinion. Hope this help.

T

tommy11

I have tested the Dajo survivor knife myself and the blade is just rubbish, extemely weak metal.
If you're really careful with it you won't notice but mine bent and finally shattered within 3 days.

I'll stick with my stainless steel Mora companion.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
nice review,good pics,i have one of these knives have not put it to any hard use looks to be a bit frail,but i don't think it was designed to be an everday use knife.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
I have tested the Dajo survivor knife myself and the blade is just rubbish, extemely weak metal.
If you're really careful with it you won't notice but mine bent and finally shattered within 3 days.

I'll stick with my stainless steel Mora companion.

I'm sorry for your Dajo.
I wrote on my review, and maybe is good to repeat, that my test lacks on some hard tasks, as batoning i.e.
I did'nt notice any damages on my Dajo, but the jobs I done were - in a scale of toughness 1-10 - let's say 7 as maximum. So, it's possible that this blade bend or break for more hard tasks, as per your Dajo.

What happende in your tes? May you please explain more? I'm interested. Alfredo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE