Todays hangover cure (dead stuff pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I can understand the need for land management etc etc.

But "Today's hangover cure" try coffee next time or just don't drink?
Somehow I don't think he thought "Oww, my head hurts... I know I'll go and shoot something"

Why the need for a pic of a gun next to it? Take a pic okay but the gun right next to it isn't cool.
It gives a sense of scale to the picture

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
+1 in support of this post. I have a foot in both camps pro wildlife and pro hunting and have an active participation in both. I'll stick up for the fox on one count though. They do not kill everything unnecessarily if presented with the opportunity of a load of chicken it is purely logical to kill them all in one hit with the aim of stashing them. They usually aren't afforded enough time to fulfill the task to the end hence the impression that they've left behind a load of carnage. Mink on the other hand...

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
She was beautiful and I felt a bit bad

Unless you're a bit of a nutter or highly desensitised I don't think there's anything abnormal about that. No matter what animal I kill I always feel a little guilt but I think that's an ancient and necessary feeling.

In a world where so much is handed to us and there are so many material problems, only created in the last 100 years, people forget how hard life really is. Land needs to be managed, otherwise we'll destroy so many things we hold dear, so sacrifices have to be made no matter how painful and difficult that is to do.

A good kill, carried out by a huntsman who, by showing his respect, has proved himself to be more than worthy of taking on the responsibility of taking life.

Will (Driven Game Shooter)

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I can understand the need for land management etc etc.

But "Today's hangover cure" try coffee next time or just don't drink?
Why the need for a pic of a gun next to it? Take a pic okay but the gun right next to it isn't cool.

I hope your going to use as much of it as possible.

Did you read the whole thing?

The shoot was planned as a stalk...

The fox has caused a problem so the owners changed the aim of the morning

I was hungover as an aside but the heat of the moment cleared my head.

The gun right next to it may not be your idea of cool, but if you see all country sport photos they tend to have the tool in shot.

I honestly wish I had never posted this now. It's becoming rather tiresome and a sounding board for people to have a go at each other.

Consider me no longer naive.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
For what it is worth I thought it was a good and clear post, your respect for nature comes through Dougster.
My best.
Chris

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Top post Dougster... Well done

"Sent from the back of beyond using new fangled technology"

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Can't believe Dougster is still getting so much grief after a superb opening post,was going to stay away from this one as i have allready put my fillings in a few times but i

can't help myself.People will always take the moral high ground when it comes to hunting,i get it all the time at work from people that know i am a deerstalker,but what really

winds me up when they are spouting off is that if you talk too 100 anti hunting types, 98 of them will go to Sainsbury's next day and buy their Sunday roast/meat nicely shrink

wrapped and bar-coded without giving a toss what the animal may have been through before it arrived on their dining room table.

The meat processing industry for Joe Public puts the hunting fraternity in the shade when it comes to animal cruelty.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Silverback whats eating meat got to do with commenting against shooting a fox? people dont eat foxes,so its got nowt to do with it? i too had written a lenghty post about this but deleted as people are entitled to there own opinions,(just got me a bit that everyone came down so hard on ged,for having a opinion)oh and ive lived on a farm for 3yrs,i still live in the countryside,i dont drink skinny latte's,just before its said.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
A post with pictures of shot animals is bound to upset some but when people start saying things like.. 'Silly people who don't understand land management should stick to reading the Guardian and posting from Starbucks with a skinny latte in hand!'.. is just ignorant and unnecessary.

Saying things like that because you don't understand how killing foxes (not animals for meat) can upset someone is why this thread is going to spark some conflicting debates and soon regress into something personal..

I hope if you do post another thread peoples opinions remain relevant and informative and don't become pointless attempts at generalising people with different views.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Silverback whats eating meat got to do with commenting against shooting a fox? people dont eat foxes,so its got nowt to do with it? i too had written a lenghty post about this but deleted as people are entitled to there own opinions,(just got me a bit that everyone came down so hard on ged,for having a opinion)oh and ive lived on a farm for 3yrs,i still live in the countryside,i dont drink skinny latte's,just before its said.

Totally agree with you about people being entitled to their own opinions,it would still have got the same reaction from people if the animal in question was edible.

If people don't agree with hunting and don't want to look at pictures of dead animals that have been humanely disposed of they should heed the warnings and click on another

post, people aren't coming down hard on Ged, and he hasn't posted since post #8 and if he comes back to this thread and reads it all maybe he may realise that he has put his

foot in his mouth, if anybody has had a raw deal it's Dougster

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
T... people aren't coming down hard on Ged, and he hasn't posted since post #8 and if he comes back to this thread and reads it all maybe he may realise that he has put his foot in his mouth

I haven't posted since #8 because I've been busy. I still am. No, I don't think that I've put my foot in my mouth at all, although I'm not sure the same can be said for everyone else in the thread.

Summary so far:

Man puts a load of live fox food all in one convenient place, so other men can come along and blow it away with guns. (And pay him some money, of course.)

Foxes come for the food. Big surprise.

So man shoots the foxes. Big surprise.

The fact remains that despite all the tosh about managing the land, the lust for blood is at the bottom of this. People want to kill things. They pay hideous amount of money to do it. The fox got in the way of the money. It's as simple, and as sickening, as that.

Nobody with any brains is going to swallow all the tripe about respect for nature when it's respect for bank accounts that's calling the tune. It was a business decision to kill the fox, not one that had anything at all to do with nature.

if anybody's had a raw deal it's Dougster

Apart from the fox, that is.

Did somebody mention bringing back the wolves?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
he shot the fox because it was eating the pheasants, he wasn't paying to shoot a spot fed quarry, he was protecting the cash crop.

EDIT, hahahaha sorry,Misunderstood Your post Ged, re read now, but still completely disagree with your point of view.

Last edited:

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
People want to kill things. They pay hideous amount of money to do it.

And take home and eat I might add. Plus the sport puts thousands of people in work, therefore is it really any different from a large slaughterhouse or a battery hen farm? Like it or not many animals are bread to be killed, and that's more an issue of population and gluttony than anything else of relevance to this discussion.

I could not disagree and disapprove of your view more 'Ged' but I would defend to the death your right to express it, and I respect you for standing by your opinion. I would warn however that a gentleman should understand that when he expresses an opinion contrary to the beliefs of many in the room (albeit a virtual one called 'Fair Game'), he should not be surprised if his view is met with disagreement and a little hostility.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what a wonderful fox....

i cant believe your all talking about right and wrong when he admitted his mag fell of.....lol....;)

good post dude, beautiful animal, good shot, nuf said...

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Dougster,
Out of curiosity is there any reason why the animal could not have been trapped and released in a pheasant free area?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Interesting thread.

I started one about animal cruelty not so long ago but it disappeared. Did it sink into a slanging match and get deleted I wonder?

Our relationship with animals, land use and money is a sensitive one which arouses strong feelings.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Without wanting to cause a arguement,or offence, i dont get how people can comment saying things like Beautiful animal etc,in the same sentence as refering to it as a good shot etc,surely the beauty of it is seeing it in its natural enviorment doing what it does, im sure Foxes when looking for food dont mean to steal nice landowners pheasants thus costing them cash, i dare say people driving on country lanes cause 100x the losses in pheasants that foxes do,eg when i lived near Galashiels any given drive into town would see about 50 or so dead pheasants at the side of /on the road,should we maybe introduce a cull?(joke by the way) When i lived on a farm for 4yrs (cattle and sheep) not once in those years did a fox take a lamb,(i asked)but when i asked why occasionaly did the farm have someone have a go at shooting some, i was told because they are pests?I also dont understand the arguement as in these people are protecting nature, im pretty sure nature looked after itself damn well before man came along, if anything alls weve done is destroy it!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Someone owns the land, they need to make money to be able to maintain it as it is, one way is to run shoots, lots of work go into raising healthy birds to shoot, the birds shot are as far as my experience goes all are eaten and have had a better life than any animal you buy in a supermarket, if the landowner doesn't raise income from the land they own, then why own it? why maintain it as is? why not sell it to developers? why not turn it into single species woodland for timber? I can appreciate the animal alive and dead, I love watching wildlife, my personal favourite is red deer all year round in Scotland, I have shot and eaten it too, why not? I like meat, if you had chickens, free range off course, possibly even organic! how would you protect your food source\income\little darling birds? I hope non of you who cant appreciate the skill it took to shoot this BEAUTIFUL animal enjoy your electrocuted\bolt shot\throat cut meat tonight or again, as if you do you are a hypocrite and the worse kind at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE