Mammoth Molar Knife.....AT LAST

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Well it took me a long time....a long time....too long....but I managed to make a pair of them....one nice one for My best Man and the 'Learning curve' kinfe, well for me :) (well I put too many hours into it even if it was just to experiment on before making the 'gift knife' for my mate.

the gift....
IMAG0875.jpg

the (unfinished) pair...
IMAG0870.jpg

one handed opening grip...
IMAG0989.jpg

Light cuts grip....
IMAG0994.jpg

Heavier cuts grip....
IMAG0993.jpg

Showing off the mammoth tooth spine grip...
IMAG0995.jpg

Most important bottle opening grip....
IMAG0998.jpg

The Kit of parts....
IMAG0774.jpg

Cutting the tooth....
IMAG0735.jpg

I forgot to say the blades came from.....can any one guess???
IMAG0438.jpg

The spalted ash I harvested from a local woods....
IMAG0516.jpg

Well If you read this much....THANKYOU!!!
ask away if you want any info.

Glad to be back in the Bushy fold.....

Mojo

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
They look very nice indeed! Well done.

Were the blades cut from old lawn mower blades? The spin out on pivot sort.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Thanks you guys, if no body posts the answer by tonight i'll tell you then......the tool they came from is pictured....just.....Mojo

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice and rustic, it'll be a gift to remember! Bet you were nervous cutting the tooth! Make sure you get a pic cutting the wedding cake with it if by 'best man' you meant you're getting married...

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Sorry no cake pics. We got married in September, but been hectic until now, so only just got pics loaded.Yes rustic and stressful only finished it the night before the wedding and then I had to wright a speech :pAll went well and the bride (wifey) said all was perfect.Best man was made up about the gift.Oh and the blade edge is kept safe when closing by a hidden brass pin that sets a gap of 3/4mm The blade is 4.5mm thick.... And just sub 3"The body is nickel silver and the centre is brass.....

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Great way to reuse old steel. Really like that. How did you do the grind? Want to try this sort of thing myself.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I'll give 2 versions of the story first the quick one (if it tells you all you need then skip part two)
Marked out the steel using a vernier and hand filed (no jigs).

if you want more (part 2)read on....
Well the blanks were cut using stuck on templates as pictured earlier, so all angles were 90 degrees....then I took the templates off and used a vernier to mark the centre line of the blank....wich would become the cutting edge.
Then I calculated the distance up the blades the scandi grind would be using a bit of magic, to give me a 25 degree cutting edge set up at the end...
.....then came the cheating bit....I used a power file for the balls out stock removal...
......then came the 'ok' bit....I used files (from 12" to needle) to give the right geometry.....
.....then came the realisation....I had not filed the bevels flat :(....
....then came the pain...3 hours per blade of pushing it up and down a flat stone covered in 120-1200 grit paper to get the bevels back the way they should be.......
.....then came the good bit.....finished off using my sharpening stones....alls good...and I seem to have lucked out on the steel quality. I was not sure the shears would be up to much but they have kept the edge nicely and i have been hacking into some small deadwood sticks and a section of old bay tree today.
Hmmmm......now to make the belt pouch for it ; )

keep us informed of your trials Mr.

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE