Canon EOS users....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have a 350D which rarely gets used because I can never find the bleeding batteries for it. I also need the sensor cleaned on it!

I've got the older EOS 400D. I've also got the nifty (and cheap!) Canon 50mm f1.8 prime you're talking about and it's bloody brill! In fact, using it you will see how sharp a lens can be and you'll never use the rubbish kit lens that comes with this range of Canon dSLRs again. I also really like the bokeh you get with the Canon 50mm.

As someone else mentioned, you can use the old non-digital Canon lenses and they will function beautifully with your brand new digital. In fact, the mount has been the same on the Canon side all the way back to 1984! This means you can get older Canon glass that's far superior for the price than the equivalent amount of money spent on a new lens. I've got a wonderful old push-pull Canon zoom lens (a 70-210mm from about 1987, see a review here) that I picked up off ebay for about £70. It's a helluva lot sharper than anything new you could buy for less than £200! Being able to use these quality old lenses is the main reason I went down the Canon route, as opposed to Nikon.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Woodcutter... Now thats one impressive photo.

Interesting stuff Deaner. I have read you really cant get the best out of the body without some decent glass, and then its stunning. The 50mm is on the cards for payday.
Also good to know about all the older lenses and fitment. I really am starting a huge learning curve, but am throughly looking forwards to it.

Cheers, al.

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Something to watch out for with the lenses : Canon lenses will work - older 3rd party ones may not as Canon changed the communication protocol within the lenses..

I bought a 10D when they first came out on the basis of having a couple of Sigma zooms from my old EOS SLR. Then had to replace the lenses as the old ones weren't compatible. I had one Sigma lens (100-400 APO) re-chipped, but they couldn't re-chip the budget zooms I had.

Since then I've bought a couple of L-series lenses :)

bikething

May 31, 2005
Failing the replace/rechip route. You can disable a contact or two and use them as manual lenses ;)
True, but why have all that technology and not be able to use it?

Actually, that reminds me I've got a chinese made (Tamron?) 500mm mirror lens somewhere that's fixed apperture and manual focus... had some fun with it photographing the moon. At that zoom on a tripod you can watch the moon whizzing across the viewfinder :)

Mirror lenses are great for the donut bokeh. The moon will reveal and CA problems of any lens. It's gotta be the hardest object to 100% perfect.

These are the best I've managed so far...

n752079011_2590667_6561350.jpg

n752079011_2590668_7038585.jpg

but the usual is

33759_10150095771989012_752079011_7268131_7297384_n.jpg

bikething

May 31, 2005
Just went looking for some shots... I seem to have accumulated about 400GB of photos since I bought the camera... must figure out a catalog system sometime LOL.

That last ones not bad - i usually get a slight blur as the moon slides across the view during the long-ish exposure.. though it was fun trying the long end of a 100-400 IS fitted to a 2x teleconvertor :)

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
The Big Lebowski,

Take a look at some Kenko Extension Tube.

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

They are about £120 - 150, but give good results. Best part is they retain the electronics - so autofocus and metering will continue to work [depending on the amount of extension use you]. They aren't "cheap" but cheaper than a dedicated lens and a good place to start if you want to try out macro photography. They can also be used with Telephoto lens to extend the range even further.

You can mount them to both your kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 - the picture of the rose on the page is taken with a 50mm 1.4 and you'll get similar results.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks for that Lamper... Just had a quick look now and the results are nice.

Its good to know they can be mounted and still keep auto focus or swap between lenses ect. And, I would imagine they perform better that the set I was looking at.

Cheers, al.

I love my Canon 50d, but dont love the prices of Canon lenses!
Sigma do some good glass, the 150m macro is really great:cool:
and the 170-500 is ok for wildlife on a budget (compared to canon L glass)
the moon pic was taken with the 170-500 (plus 2x teleconverter), and the speeeder with the macro..handheld:eek:
_MG_6663_128.jpg

20090926-CRW_5610-Edit.jpg

Would love a 500d myself as I fancy trying the HD movie capability that the 50d lacks...
I'm sure whatever lens you get you'll have fun and capture some great images :)

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Sherwood,

I agree Canon L (Luxury) glass is NOT cheap, but in photography you get what you pay for! I bought the 24-70 f/2.8 L and it is the best thing I could have done. Sensors are so advanced now that even entry level models achieve amazing results with good glass.

I took the follow shot on my 450D - bottom of the spec sheet and discontinued 2 years ago.

4956143361_d1334aaef9_b.jpg
S

FULL SIZES HERE - http://www.flickr.com/photos/lampertron/4956143361/sizes/l/in/photostream/

If you look at the 3000px size version, the detail captured by L grade glass is second to none.

I plan on getting a 5D mark II or III (when it finally comes out) and having invested in good glass I know I'll get the best out of whatever body I use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a final note, and no disrespect to the 500D owners, your 50D has one of the best sensors made by Canon and will take phenomenal stills with good glass. No video granted, but for stills you are looking at (best to worse) 1D, 5D, 50D, 7D, 60D, 550D, 1100D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My 2 pence................

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Hey Al, something to note is that Canon offer a worldwide warranty on Lenses. This means that you can by lenses cheaper from somewhere Hong Kong or America and save some money.

DigitalRev deal from Hong Kong for example. If anything goes wrong then you can contact cannon directly.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thats good to know cheers buddy....
Maybe we could get together for a yap about cameas at some stage. I did mean to have a quick nose at your 600, but got sidetracked with cooking/sharpening/rum/rum/rum.

Working my way through the settings and getting an idea, slowly but surely!

:p

I wouldn't be getting rid of the 50D, Its phenomenal! the 500D would be a back-up...
I started with a 10D, excellent quality images (@iso100) but any other iso and noise starts to make an appearance :(
The images from the 10D are, in my opinion, sharper straight out of the camera than the 50d, but the newer sensors are in a league well above and beyond the older models !

...the detail is unbelievable in the higher resolution shots, heres one of mine from the west coast of Scotland, with the 10d there would have been lots of noise in the shadows..
_MG_8002_128.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE