Cooking and eating a joint of meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
With a bushcraft meet looming, I'm planning my menu for the weekend, and was just wondering something...

You know when they cook a donner kebab, they shave off the outer layers that are cooked, which exposes the less-cooked inner parts? Could you do that with a thick joint of meat as well?? I appreciate you'd need to be a bit careful because it's thick meat rather than mashed up stuff, but what do you reckon??

Rich

With a bushcraft meet looming, I'm planning my menu for the weekend, and was just wondering something...

You know when they cook a donner kebab, they shave off the outer layers that are cooked, which exposes the less-cooked inner parts? Could you do that with a thick joint of meat as well?? I appreciate you'd need to be a bit careful because it's thick meat rather than mashed up stuff, but what do you reckon??

Rich

you mean like a spit roast :D

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
yep thats what happened with the lamb joint at the brockwell woods meet at the weekend it was suspended by wire on the tripod and left there while bits were cut off also i cooked pork joints in a dutch oven that was borrowed from green surfing bear and they were delicous :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Rich

Yes. That used to be quite common at semi formal banquets here. They'd cook a large beef roast called "steamship round" and slice it as they served it. The added benefit is that you can select the degree of doneness or rareness that you like,

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

Rich
I'd say Beef yes, you can eat raw beef anyway, lamb mostly yes, but with a bit more care. joint of pork no, pork need to get above 72C to be 100% safe, so if the outside edge of the pork looks just cooked, the inner edge of the meat may not be (dependent on thickness of the slice)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you have any doubts, keep a pot of oil hot in the embers or something like that and you can dunk slices of meat in it fondue-style.

Yeah, that would work. I still cringe at the thought of a savoury fondue though - the only time I've ever experienced one, an old guy with one arm tore a piece of liver with his teeth and chewed it, then complained to his wife that it was a bit rare for his tastes... :S

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just be careful buddy... taking your bum for a wee is not fun :p

The stuff in Kebab shops has already been cooked once. Its simply reheated via the gas burners on demand... The sodium (salt) content keeps it sterile.

If fresh(ish) Lamb, fine pink. Beef, fine pink... Pork, take your chances.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? Do different meats hold their bacteria differently or something then?

Bacteria no. But while cows and sheep are herbivores and have relatively few internal parasites; pigs are omnivores and pork has a larger danger of parasites. Potentially deadly ones.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Hi

I have been a chef for about 20 odd years & I now teach catering, but you can take my advice or leave it if you have enough info already. Others have basically hit it on the head!

If it is red meat (Beef, Venison & Lamb) then it can be cooked to varying degrees of liking relatively safely. Just remember the more processing the meat has had the higher the risk of contamination, therefore the more cooking required!
e.g. Leg of Lamb or Beef Joint can be cooked rare!
Steaks obviously
Minced Meat should be cooked through! (although a nice rare burger is naughty but nice)

Pork is a contentious issue,
back in the annals of time Pigs suffered from some kind of infestation which meant that to kill the bug pork had to be well cooked. Better farming & processing methods have for decades eradicated said bugs therefore it has to be said that to eat slightly rare pork is actually better, with cuts as with read meats (Loins, Legs & Fillets) but I still say only pink (no pun intended) not fully rare.

Chicken still has salmonella all over the shop so cook it thorough i.e. over 72ºc or till juices run clear.

Duck & other Game birds treat as red meat if young & pork/chicken if older!

The main thing to remember is when it is raw keep it cold below 5ºc-8ºc and you'll be fine.

My tip is take it away with you frozen wrapped in clingfilm, then bubble wrap, then paper & store next to your water bladder (keeps your water cool as you Hike) then when you reach overnight stop tada defrosted ready to cook.

Hope this helps & I have some info on food safety if you want it pm me & ask me to send you my Food Temp Charts doc I have for my students.

I'd post it as an attachment but I can't as I'm not privileged enough yet!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Reaps72. Would a ceviche type of preparation work for red meat, or poultry like it does for seafood?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Reaps72. Would a ceviche type of preparation work for red meat, or poultry like it does for seafood?
Yes, but with ceviche chicken I'd marinate for at least an hour (three hours max) but with very lean and really thin slices of beef you can do marinate and serve. JMHO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE