Ray Mears style parang/ Duku Chandong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yngd2d17S-0&feature=player_embedded#at=16

Having seen the above video on U Tube I contacted Ahmad Nadir @ Outdoor Dynamics, I asked if he could provide a Duku with a larger (longer handle) as I have large hands. Duku is a Dyak word for parang the style according to some sources prefered for head hunting also the parent of the one Ray Mears prefers.

The Duku was on back order as the original smith had died and his son had taken over.
Whilst I waited I saw on Ahmed's website that he sold a cheaper parang without sheath styled as a Ray Mears Parang I ordered one for my 16 year old son, cost including shipping was about £30.00p in about 2 weeks it arrived without a sheath as expected, a quick bit of work with a stone made it shaving sharp, it has a dense plastic handle in subdued purple which will do for now if a problem I will knck up a wooden handle. I then made a sheath out of thin wall black PVC water pipe covered with 1000d cordura with a few 5mm eyelets taking 25' of para cord at this point I hope the photos come out...

I got an email from Ahmad saying some parangs were ready, he sent PayPal invoices to myself & a friend again providing tracking numbers again the time for delivery was 2 weeks, the Duku is a far better made parang & the sheath is a joy of two tone honey Teak as is the handle. Cost including shipping £54.00p
parangs
[/URL][/IMG]

parangs
[/URL][/IMG]

I found Ahmad Nadir a delight to deal with he patiently answered all my questions & sent photos I am very pleased with the quality of the products which are made from landrover springs there are several more parangs on he Outdoor Dynamics website.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2011
Oxford
I have two of these in 10" form new, bought from outdoor dynamics. One with teak sheath and handle and one with lime tree wood. Any ideas what i should do with them?

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I'm off to "YORKSHIRE" soon with my son & a friend after an invite from Ian Dent Willoughby, whilst there we will try out the Duku as well as the Ray Mears style parang.

As the climate here is drier than Malaysia (???) wood shrinkage might let the tang slide out so I decided to fit a pin to stop the blade sliding out, the tempering is so good that I ruined a HSS bit & a hard metal drill to fit the pin...

more to follow...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm off to "YORKSHIRE" soon with my son & a friend after an invite from Ian Dent Willoughby, whilst there we will try out the Duku as well as the Ray Mears style parang.

As the climate here is drier than Malaysia (???) wood shrinkage might let the tang slide out so I decided to fit a pin to stop the blade sliding out, the tempering is so good that I ruined a HSS bit & a hard metal drill to fit the pin...

more to follow...

You are wise to secure that tang. I was in Venezuela with a similar parang and the blade parted from the handle causing an air evac, loadsa stitches and a shortened exped.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
JonathanD

I hope it was only your expedition that was shortened...

stew

Thanks for the warning,the Romans lost a legion in the North, however I have ventured North of Watford before, Yorkshire, that's where my .308 was made for me by Dave in Wombwell (now Valkyrie rifles), I also have farming friends in CUMBRIA who still count their sheep yan tyan tethera methera pimp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE