Ridiculously cheap reindeer hides!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Sleepingbags, anoraks, gloves ,pants ,moccasins, thats the traditional uses but i warn you, your gonna get reindeer hair absolutely every were.

But the best materials for gloves is the skin on the forehead because it's not gonna lose any hair and a bit stronger and the best material for the soles of a moccasins is bälliningen , the piece of skin just above the hoofs (thats cut of in the slaughter), because the hair is very coarse and gives a better traction.

I've heard elsewhere too that reindeer hide sheds easily. How come it's been used for centuries by the Saami (amonsgt others), because surely once the hair goes, it's just a piece of non-insulated leather, right? Is there anything you can do to prevent it shedding?

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Well the Saami has a lot of reindeer hides so it's not a big problem...
But the hair doesn't fall of like "poof all hair is gone", it takes some time. And their are 2 main factors why, first is if slaughtered in the winter or in the autumn. The bulls are slaughtered in the autumn before they get a thick undercoat of hair and the calves are slaughtered in the winter when they have a tick undercoat that easily sheds of.
The second one is if its dried or tanned, dried hides are stiffer but they can handle abuse and damp conditions pretty god, these are the types of hides that Saami use on snowmobiles and camping as a sleeping pad.
Tanned hides are the ones you normally buy, they are softer but can't be used outdoor that much because they loose hair very fast if they are not dry( there is a new type of tanned hides with plastic on the meat side so u can use it outdoor).

But the important thing is to keep the hide dry at all times, if u have one on the floor take it out and let it dry at least once or twice each month, this will greatly prolong the life of the hide.
I have also heard that if u applicate a mixture of linseed oil and tar on the meat side of the hide it will prevent shedding (none of my Saami friends has tested this, it was "invented" by a normal Swedish guy)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE