A rare treat these days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
In the shadow of so many companies that offer poor customer service, I've had the rare treat of finding two that have gone over and above. Not wanting to advertise, I will generalise.

Whilst planning a recent trip to the Lakes I found that my sat nav was not performing at its best. Being some 5 years out of warranty, I contacted the manufacturer who offered a repair/replacement service for a fixed fee. To cut a long story short, because they couldn't replace with a like for like model (as it was so old), they sent me an upgraded more modern unit free of charge.

So roll forward to the Lakes. Day 1, just about to set off and popping my Bergan on to my back, bang - my cookset water bottle hits the deck and splits the cap wide open. Not the best start to a couple of days in the hills. So, when I get home, I start trawling the interweb to see if I can find a replacement. Eventually find the manufacturers website and a contact email address. I drop them a line to see if I can buy a replacement. Now bare in mind this was Tuesday night, Wednesday morning I get an email back asking for my contact details and Thursday, there on my door mat is my bottle cap, with compliments, no charge and a witty comment too.

So for all those companies out there turning their backs on their customers, there still remains some companies who put people first. Needless to say that's two companies that will be getting my repeat business

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Always good to hear about good customer service. I've just had my new lathe (bought 3 days ago) fail on me - the on button wouldn't lock on - so I rang the supplier. They said "Oh, sorry, that's not very good. Replacement will be with you tomorrow". Can't fault that attitude.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I get a regular note form one company saying 'thanks for your order' and it turns up the day after I purchase the item...
Another company called me a few days after a purchase to make sure It got here, and I was happy.

Needless to say they have both received orders since, and will continue to do so :)

I've also had a couple I regret placing one order with. Needless to say....

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Always great to find companies that value their customers, it restores faith no end! Good stuff

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mine was Axminster, the tool company. Sold a good lathe at a nice price, free next day delivery, and no quibble about replacing a faulty part.

I'm sat here waiting for it now...

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Don't you think it's weird that in this current economic climate that you can still experience 'poor customer service'?
I mean, just going that extra mile with a customer may secure future business especially with any referrals. I would have thought that businesses would be pulling out all the stops!

Glad to hear that you received great service OP!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well I didn't name names as I didn't want to be removed for advertising. But if it is OK to say, and I am not connected to these companies in any way.

Sat Nav - TomTom I've never had bad customer service from them and the staff always seem to go above and beyond. So not an isolated experience.

Bottle cap - BCB International Crusader Cook set.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Backpacking Light have exceptional customer service - very prompt delivery, handwritten notes, bag of sweets with the order and follow up phone calls - and they sell brill kit.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
bag of sweets with the order
i've had this with a few sellers off ebay, little bags of haribo stuck in with the item and a hand written note. its the personal touch like corporal jones in the tv show dads army sticking an extra sausage in the pack for his valued customers lol
the best one i had was when i brought my us issue poncho liner off ebay from a fella in hawaii and it arrived with a small christmas card written in english and the traditional hawaiian greeting. that little gesture had me smiling for weeks :)

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
It is good hear of peoples positive experiences with these companies, i'll give them a look.

I've had lots of good experiences (and a couple of bad ones..) but a notable one was with ASMC, a german company (no connection etc)

I'd ordered some kit from a UK company and some from them on the same evening earlier this year. The UK company said that the order would be delayed because of the weather - it arrived just over a week later, no a problem as they did let me know.

However The stuff from ASMC arrived from Germany within two days along with a pile of stickers, catalogue & bag of sweets!

Den

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE