Finished my first pair of Moccasins the other day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ok, here's the pictures of my new moccasins, I'm not 100% happy with them but I am very happy for my first go. I have darkened the leather with brown shoe polish as I wasn't too keen on the light cream colour the Elk skin was....

Oh well....do let me what you all think:

Moccasins001.jpg

Moccasins006.jpg

They took about 5 hours each to make (the second was only about 4 hours), I worked from 4 different patterns and styles and made bits up myself, hence they are one of a kind Moccasins! lol Well, I never could follow instructions very well..lol :eek: :D

They are double soled and I'm looking forward to trying them out in the woods soon. They are very very comfy :D

What do you all think? (polite answers only please!!!!lol ;) )

Cheers,

Bam. :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Venger said:
You are wearing clothes...right? ;)

What's the stem at the heel?

Just my trusty loin cloth....like a good little summer brave! lol :p (actually had my shorts on...hardly ever out of them rain or shine :) )

The stem at the back is where it's all pulled tight around the heel...it's one of the ways show in "Wildwood Wisdom" to do it but it's also one of the bits I'm not too happy with (purely on looks, it's not a function issue at all) and will most likely change on the next pair. I also messed up the toes a little and the toe now slopes down to the sole rather than the sole crumpling up to the toe...does that makes sence?

Cheers for looking....

Bam :D

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
nice job Phil - I'll bring mine to the Ashdown meet in 3 weekends time too!

Prefect for the 1800's event!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Neil1 said:
prefects - do you have milk monitors too on these 1800's meets?
Neil

We haven't done one yet so not too sure! lol ;) But seeing as it's an 1800's event I think we should have a Diary Wench with one of those "exotic" white blouses that Babs Winsor wore in the carry on films and one of those over the shoulder wooden yoke numbers with the buckets on each end as our milk monitor....lol :D :p

Cheers Gary, looking forward to seeing some of your kit in a few weeks Mate :)

Bam.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
Oh, didn't I say....I was taking the pictures, my wife was modelling them!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D
OOPS, Phil has just placed himself in a very deep hole without the aid of a JCB.

Shall we watch him try to get out of this one?
Especially when he is bringing her to the next Ashdown meet-up at the end of the month!!!

Get working mate!!! :D

Martin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Goose said:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6905
Some tips on there from toddy! :D

Can get hold of an angle grinder if needed.

:D :D

Hey Neil1,
I hear that the male equivalent is guaranteed to leave you feeling like a baby *all* over..... :eek:
Maybe I'm biased, but men are supposed to have hairy legs :) :p

Phil, I know that I've never seen this recommended in text but if you want to gather leather in neat little puckers, like mocassin toes, ***** out the stitch holes evenly around with the same number on both pieces before you start stitching. The holes will close over a little bit but the needle will find them again and if you sew with a back stitch it will keep the puckers in shape and tight. I saw this done on a pair of childs mocassins sent from Canada for me when I was a very little girl and have since used the method to gather leather for a pouch evenly onto a frame clasp and when gathering heavy fabrics. Nice work, though not sure about the heel design :confused: How does it feel on when walking about?

Cheers,
Toddy

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
My (brazilian milk monitor) Moc's are slightly different to Bam's (I have lent the pattern to a few people from here, Stuart ect) but I have found that a type of blanket stitch on the foot area gives a good plucker to the leather - while I perfer (happy now Neil!?) a runing stitch up all seams other than this area.

Hopefully I'll get a picture of em at the next Ashdown meet up to post on here as pictures speak loader than words.

Speaking of which ---- Kev have you finished with it yet mate?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE