My first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
This is my first spoon carved out of apple.
The darker markings are natural in the wood, it looks better close up. The dished area is nice and deep.
I have not oiled it yet as I'm not sure what oil to use but suffice to say my wife has taken a fancy to it so I'll have to make myself another one.
Wood006.jpg

Wood007.jpg

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice Job Hugo.
Not surprised that you've lost it already.Oil-wise I heat the spoon up in the oven and then rub it all over with ordinary vegetable oil.
The oil soon dries and it doesn't taint the taste like some can.Keep up the good work.
Cheers , Simon

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice one mate, next time we plan to go up the hills i'll bring a small bottle of tung oil along for you, in the mean time, Olive or Walnut oil works well

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
can I use off cuts from a crab Apple tree to carve my very first functional spoon and do anyone have a list of all the non- poisonous trees that cab be use for carving. cheers the interceptor boy.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cheers guys, I used veg oil as we did not have any Olive oil left indoors.
That is a kind gesture Kepis.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
My second spoon made in apple wood again and also a Bull Roarer. Not fully sanded yet as I have no fine sandpaper.

001-2.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
excellent work Hugo, dont sand the Bullroarer too fine though, a rougher surface helps to generate noise.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Will do, or won't do if you know what I mean.
The roarer is made from eucalyptus wood from a tree that I cut down.
If you look carefully on the right hand side you will see a smallish crack where I hit it on a tree whilst using it, I'll cut it down a bit tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE