bilberrys ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
hi i was out blackberying with the daughter this afternoon and found these berrys.question is are these bilberrys? if they are i'm so excited cause i've found a good amount

2011-09-04190208-1.jpg

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Hard to tell from that. Bilberrys have like a sort of misty 'bloom' over them, as if they are covered in fog. There's a similar heatherlike plant which as a kid we were told was poisonous (don't know if that's true!) which is smaller and blacker as opposed to purpely-blue, so best to make sure! The leaves of bilberries are wider and flatter than t'other one, which is more needle-like in appearance.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
They look like cherry laurel to me, although the photo is very small, definatly not bilbery though.

If they are cherry laurel, they are poisonous so dont pick and eat them

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Well the bush was about 1.5ft highon the edge of horse paddocks with like a cloudy covering to be honest toilet diggers pic the berrys look flatter than the ones i found will put some bigger pics on tomorrow when im on a computer as im using my phone now

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm not fully convinced they're sloes y'know... the shape and the remaining sepal/petal area remind me more of a rosehip. Split one open - multiple seeds inside?

EDIT - Pah, I'm looking at T/Diggers pic which isnt the same as the OP's. I'll defer that TD's are bilberries :D OP's pic is far too small to make a positive ID IMHO

Last edited:

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
Pretty sure these are also sloes, very sour taste, can't find any thorns though.
dsc00960aw.jpg

The berries were green a few weeks ago before they turned this colour.

Last edited:

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
yep definatly sloes, too many berries to be bilberries, if bilberries had that many berries on a bush I'd never get any work done I'd be to busy eating them lol I LOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEE bilberries (during bilberry season my work day goes something like this, clear a path for 5 minuets, eat some bilberries, clear the path a bit more, eat some more bilberries, think about doing somemore work decide instead to eat even more bilberries and repeat)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE