Axe 'lessons'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi all,

I'm getting more and more into carving, and would like to get into using an axe. I think also an axe would prove useful on my bushcrafty sessions in the woods...

However, I understand I could easily chop my hand off :eek: if I try using one when never having used one before, so was wondering how one would go about getting axe 'lessons', if there is such a thing!

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Dan

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No doubt if you can make it to one of the 'meets' this summer their will be folks who can take you through most of what you need to know. Alternatively there are some extras at the end of the most recent RM DVD's which cover basic axe use and maitainance.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Daniel, I think woodsmoke based in Cumbria do a AXE craft course you might want to speak to Ben and Lisa there.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I'm unable to get to the meet at the end of this month but hoping to go to the WG in september! Hopefully be able to pick up some skills there!

Gary said:
Daniel, I think woodsmoke based in Cumbria do a AXE craft course you might want to speak to Ben and Lisa there.

Cheers for the tip Gary, I'll take a look!

Thanks,
Dan

It's great that you are thinking of lessons - especially if you can see a good axe in use by someone who knows axes and chopping.
For all of my axes, and my love of chopping wood, I had to muddle through and learn on my own. Sad considering where I live and that I really started with axes thirty years ago. I figure I've got a decade or two of using a big falling axe until it becomes too much. Luckily I have smaller ones that I should be able to manage after that.....

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Gary said:

They do. I'm seriously considering it myself. I'm gonna ask them about it when I'm on the Lakelander (end of this month)

Not that I haven't been using hatchets and bigger (untrained/self-taught :eek: ) for ~20 years, but how can it hurt to learn a little more.

Besides, they insist on a GB SFA for the course, and it'll give me a good excuse to acquire both knowledge AND kit simultaneously (a bit of a novelty for me)

Jim.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hey,

I've had a look at all your suggestions, thanks loads for the advice!

Unfortunately, it all seems rather expensive, and unaffordable.... I guess the best thing would be to try to get to a meet and maybe learn off some friendly people!

Thanks again,
Dan

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Daniel,
I have been using axes and hatchets for 25+ years and never attended a course. A little common sense and a bit of reading will serve you well> Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft has some very usefull information on safety with different sizes of axe and The Basic Essentials Guide to Camping has some excellent information on using a hand axe for basic camping. Carving with an axe is really common sense, safety is paramount, as the carving beomes more detailed you grasp the axe further up the handle, ending up grasping the poll to control the edge (for shaving feather sticks or shaving the handle of a spoon).
I have never attended a bushcraft course, yet I can build a shelter, light a fire by friction, identify an abundance of wild foods and generally look after myself in the outdoor world. T, and this has been achieved by reading, watching, and listening to others.
Get yourself to a meet-up, you will be suprised what you can learn, in days gone by thats how skills were shared and no money changed hands, can't be bad :D

Neil

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Thanks Neil, thats really helped! I think I'll do as you've done and just try things out, whilst being careful! Things I've learnt so far have all been from books so I guess, as you say, it will be no different when learning to use an axe!

Thanks a lot, :D

Dan

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Many years ago on one of the few courses I have attended (combat survival, E&E) the senior instructor told me a valuable lesson - "don't believe the hype - test for yourself" and I have adhered to this ever since, I use little designer gear and mostly make most of my own gear or modify kit to suit my needs. On a "meet-up" you get the chance to learn from people with a wealth of experience who are very willing to share knowledge, there is no profit to be made, just a wealth of generosity-freely given.
I run occasional walks/trips in the south west, I always try to impart as much knowledge as possible from my own experience, but I am always suprised by how much I learn on every trip, whether its the latest on a new bit of kit or the fine detail on an old skill.
Neil

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Daniel said:
Thanks Neil, thats really helped! I think I'll do as you've done and just try things out, whilst being careful! Things I've learnt so far have all been from books so I guess, as you say, it will be no different when learning to use an axe!

Thanks a lot, :D

Dan

Hi mate.

Where are you based? i will happily take you out to my woodland and show you a bit of axe work. :)

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Wayne said:
Where are you based? i will happily take you out to my woodland and show you a bit of axe work

Hey mate,

I'm near fareham in Hampshire. I would love that if you could! I'm ordering an axe tonight so will have one soon hopefully.

on a side note, when you say 'my woodland'... do you own your own bit of woodland??

Also, on a side side note, I'm not sure whether to get the Small Forest Axe, or the Wildlife Hatchet.... Which would be best for a beginner, and for use with light chopping, and carving? Anyone?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers tenbears!

Now that that's decided, the only place I know to buy these are on Uncle Ray's site... Anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Dan

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Daniel said:
Cheers tenbears!

Now that that's decided, the only place I know to buy these are on Uncle Ray's site... Anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Dan

Dan speak to Gary at Bearclaw....his prices are very good:

http://www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk/trading/tools.htm

Scroll down a bit to find it just before the sharpening puk.

I'm off to my local wood on saturday afternoon overnight until sunday lunchtime with a couple of members from here....fancy coming? (One of them lives in Fareham and might give you a ride if you ask him nicely ;) ).

Bam.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Unless you are sure you can trust the seller its best to choose the axe yourself to make sure the handle has continuous grain & the grind is strait/head aligned well.

If you're in Kent & want a GB axe then pay a visit to the Weald & Downland museum - I went there for mine & they were very helpful & I could pick the best of 3. Good prices too.

http://www.wealddown.co.uk/gransfors-bruks-axes.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE